SRJC women’s basketball team cruises to a 65-41 win against Diablo Valley

Tony Moeckel
SRJC forward Ashleigh Barr (23) scores a pull-up jumper in their Feb. 11 win against Diablo Valley.

Santa Rosa Junior College’s women’s basketball team defeated Diablo Valley 65-41 in a dominant game that improved the Bear Cubs’ record to 15-9 on Feb. 11 at Haehl Pavilion.

Santa Rosa ended its two-game losing streak against a Diablo Valley team that only had five active players on the roster for the game. The Bear Cubs look to use this win to fuel their final two games of the season.

The Bear Cubs started the game on a 10-0 run and never gave the lead back to the Vikings. Forward Trinity Hawkins, guard Ciarah Michalik, guards Lizbeth and Lizeth Zavala and forward Ashleigh Barr all started for the Bear Cubs.

At the end of the first quarter, the score was 17-8 Santa Rosa. Hawkins scored nine of her 19 points in the first quarter, and she finished the game with 19 points, eight rebounds, two blocks and three steals.

The Vikings and Bear Cubs traded baskets in the second quarter before the Bear Cubs ended the second quarter on a 9-3 run. The Bear Cubs ended the first half with a buzzer beating three, giving the Bear Cubs all the momentum heading into halftime.

The Bear Cubs solidified their lead with eight straight points to start the third, then started to pull away with 23 points in the quarter. The Bear Cubs didn’t just dominate on offense; they held the Vikings to only 10 points in the quarter.

The Bear Cubs ran a variety of defenses and confused the Vikings for the whole game.

The fourth quarter finished with a Santa Rosa-led score of 65-41. Even though the Vikings put up a valiant effort, the Bear Cubs depth was just too much to handle for the Vikings’ five lone players.

The Bear Cubs totaled 61 rebounds for the entire game, 24 rebounds on the offensive glass and 37 on the defensive glass.

The women’s basketball team’s next game will be against Modesto at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 15 at Modesto.

A SRJC women's basketball player dribbles the ball down the court.
Trinity Hawkins (0) steals the ball and scores a fast-break layup in the Bear Cubs’s win against Diablo Valley on Feb. 11. (Tony Moeckel)