Bear Cubs lose final home football game of the decade

Photo by James Domizio
Santa Rosa Bear Cubs and San Francisco Rams players emerge from a dogpile during the Rams’ 30-24 victory over the Bear Cubs Saturday at Santa Rosa High School.

In the last home game of the Bear Cubs’ Fall 2019 season, Santa Rosa Junior College lost 30-24 to the City College of San Francisco Rams Saturday afternoon at Santa Rosa High School.

With seven minutes left in the first quarter, running back JT Evans scored the game’s first touchdown on the rush, and a recovery by kicker Keven Nguyen just three seconds later kept the Bear Cubs’ spirits high.

San Francisco scored on a kick just six seconds after the second quarter kickoff to make the score 7-3. The Rams scored on another kick to cut the deficit to 7-6 about six minutes later. 

The Rams scored a touchdown to take a 13-7 lead over the 1-8 Bear Cubs with just two minutes left in the quarter. A few late second quarter runs by Rams’ quarterback Will Heckman hyped up both his team and the crowd, and with four seconds left in the half, wide receiver William Hutcheson caught a long pass from Heckman to take a 14-13 lead.

Nguyen scored a field-goal with nine minutes left in the third quarter making it 17-13 Bear Cubs. San Francisco couldn’t be stopped as they scored two touchdowns in 1 minute 56 seconds to take a 27-17 lead. 

Just before the end of the third quarter, SRJC offensive lineman Resheed Wallace labored off the field with an apparent injury.

Yet only 38 seconds into the fourth quarter, SRJC scored a touchdown to make the game close at 27-24. Four minutes later, San Francisco scored the last points of the game to widen their lead to 30-24.Bear Cubs lost their final home game of this year, and their last game of the 2010s.

“I think it was pretty even [referring to penalties and flags given to both teams],” Assistant Coach Todd Little said.  “It’s never fun to watch when it gets ugly like that, but I didn’t have a problem with it. I don’t think that we got taken or they got taken, I thought it was pretty fair. It was the special teams that hurt us.”

The Bear Cubs face Diablo Valley College at 7 p.m. Nov. 15 in Diablo Valley.