Bear Cubs maul with mama bear mentality

Alexis Gumanday’s team congratulates her at home plate after hitting a home run during their win Feb. 3.
 The Santa Rosa Junior College women’s softball team defeated Shasta College 7-1 Saturday on Sypher field, achieving the first win of the season.

SRJC started strong in the first inning. Second-year player Alexis Gumanday hit a homerun to left-center field, scoring two runs and bringing the score to 3-0.

The offense kept coming with four batters hitting .500: outfielder Bethany Devault, second base Alyssa Coronado, third base Sarah Knight and catcher Emma Guilfoil.

Second year Lexie Raasch, a Southern Oregon transfer, was the starting pitcher and finished with a complete game. Raasch threw five shutout innings, seven strikeouts and only allowed four hits and one run.  

“I was a little nervous,” Raasch said after her first career start for SRJC.

Head coach Phil Wright said,“ We have young talent that works hard and hustles. This team really bonds well and has picked up the mental side of the game.”

Bethany Devault said, “We will practice, get better and go far this season.”

The Bear Cubs’ offense continued pouring it on with the final score was 7-1.