SGA approves funds for community healing event, chooses next club day event

SGA+members+approved+%241%2C000+in+funding+for+a+community+healing+event%2C+which+will+have+fidget+toys%2C+therapy+dogs+and+even+positive+messages+for+students+to+pick+up%2C+on+the+week+before+Fall+semester+finals.+
SGA members approved $1,000 in funding for a community healing event, which will have fidget toys, therapy dogs and even positive messages for students to pick up, on the week before Fall semester finals.

Santa Rosa Junior College’s Student Government Assembly members approved funding for a community healing event, and discussed wellness services for the Polly O’Meara Doyle Hall at their Nov. 13 meeting.

SGA APPROVES FUNDS FOR COMMUNITY HEALING EVENT

During the North Bay fires in 2017, SRJC offered various wellness services to students, such as art and massage therapy, free groceries and lunches. Kelly Ahrelly Zamado, vice president of student life of the Petaluma campus, spoke with SGA members in hopes to offer similar services with a community healing event held the week before Fall semester finals.

“With finals coming up, an event like this would be great for students as it can be such a stressful time for everyone to juggle. One of the main goals of this event is trying to create communities of care,” said Zamado.

She said SGA plans to provide fidget toys for students, therapy dogs and even positive messages for students to come pick up at the event.

SGA members approved $1,000 to fund the event.

“I think it would be a wise use of money, and I think it would be absolutely worth it. I would encourage us all to support them,” said Mason Koski, executive vice president of student life.

Some services SRJC regularly offers the community include a fresh farmers market at the Santa Rosa campus and washing machines at the Petaluma campus.

Currently SRJC is looking to hire an African American psychologist since SRJC doesn’t have one, along with finding a center for Latinx students similar to the Sabowna center.

WELLNESS INCORPORATIONS BEING ADDED TO THE DORMS

Rachel Butterfield, vice president of student health, spoke about a reproductive health event she held in the dorms on Nov. 7. She said the event was successful, with over 20 students attending and hopes this will lead to future events.

Butterfield is also working with Ben Wilson of student life, equity and engagement, to create an event, called Wellness Wednesdays, to incorporate wellness related activities or information sharing for dorm residents every Wednesday.

NEXT CLUB DAY DATES

Zamado said the amount of student clubs on campus have reached a pre-pandemic normal of 41.

SGA chose the next Club day event to be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m on Nov. 29.

Samantha Carter
Samantha Carter, Reporter
Samantha Carter(she/her) is in her second semester at Santa Rosa Junior College and a vibrant part of The Oak Leaf. She is majoring in communications and her plan is to transfer to a 4-year Fall 2025. Her end goal would be news anchoring or reporting. She loves to learn and try new things. She is interested in news, fashion, adventure, music and nature.

• M

Mason KoskiNov 25, 2023 at 8:35 pm

Hi! This is Mason Koski! I’m noting this just cause I don’t want to take away from the incredible folks on SGA that plan our student events. I’am the Executive Vice-President of the SRJC Student Government and also SRJC’s Delegate to the SSCCC. The folks responsible for Student Life is our VP for our Santa Rosa Campus, Shanty Bengo, and VP for our Petaluma Campus Kelly Arhelly Zamudio!