Reliving the History of Jazz: Time Traveling Through Music

The Bennett Friedman Quartet performs in Newman Auditorium to a packed house.

The Bennett Friedman Quartet performed a volley of tunes March 15 in the Santa Rosa Junior College Newman Auditorium ranging from soothing ballads to hard bop. The quartet included the talents of pianist Larry Dunlap, bassist Drew Emer, drummer David Rokeach and saxophonist Bennett Friedman.

The quartet played to a full house, with more listeners trickling in throughout the night, standing by the entrances. “It’s really good to know this community has talent like this,” said one audience member.

Between pieces, Friedman would describe the upcoming song with a little history of it and the composer, as well as a few jokes with his band mates. The chemistry they had together was evident with how well they played with each other. They bounced back and forth from one solo to the next with only a few specific notes signaling the next movement.

“I’ve been playing with Bennett since the early ‘70s, so it’s exciting to play new tunes,” Dunlap said.

“Playing with Bennett, without insulting his age, is like playing with a piece of jazz history,” Emer said, who also teaches at SRJC. “He’s seen things I haven’t seen, so his music is informed in a way that it’s a pleasure to play bass with him.” The audience was keen to this as well, with ample applause following every solo or transition.

Their set list had various songs from different times in jazz history. Included “Dance to the Lady” by John Handy, “I’m Just Sayin” by Brian Bromberg, “Una Mas” by Kenny Dorham and several others.

Many audience members immersed themselves in the music by closing their eyes.

The two-hour concert ended with a standing ovation and deafening applause by the crowd. The Quartet bowed and gave thanks before wrapping up for the night.

“I feel really good about it; I had a good time,” Friedman said when asked about the show. “It was fantastic. I was very impressed. Bennett Friedman is a real joy to have,” said one fan.

When asked if they wanted to return to SRJC again, the members of the quartet all agreed that they’d be more than willing.

“Absolutely. Anything Bennett puts together is amazing,” Rokeach said.

The concert doubled as a fundraiser for the Santa Rosa Junior College Foundation Jazz Studies Fund.

For information on future musical performances please visit the SRJC concert calendar at: http://www.santarosa.edu/music/concerts.php.