Conference Showdown: SRJC Baseball Still Top Seed After Sierra College Series

Bear Cub infielder Parker Shaw scores the go-ahead run in a tied game against Sierra College April 6. SRJC won the game 4-2, and the 2013 season series.

Gray skies and a threat of rain did not stop the SRJC Bear Cub baseball team April 4 as it took down rival Sierra College, 4-2 to stay on top of the Big 8 Conference.

With Sierra on their heels in the standings, the Bear Cubs threw right-hander Jason Alexander on the mound to even the season series at a game apiece. SRJC lost the first game of the series two days earlier 8-3 and looked to come back strong at home.

The Bear Cubs scored the first run of the game as Siosi Poti laid down a bunt to score Parker Shaw from third base.  But in the top of the third inning, Alexander gave up a couple of singles and a walk after two quick outs to even the score.

In the bottom of the sixth, Sierra made a pitching change after a hit-by-pitch and a walk put two on with no outs. Sierra recorded the first out of the inning before balking with Poti at the plate. A bases loaded single to left by sophomore Ryan Xepoleas gave SRJC a 2-1 lead.

Head coach Damon Neidlinger made a call to the bullpen after Alexander opened up the seventh with a walk. Alexander went six innings, giving up five hits, one earned run, two walks and three strikeouts. Tyler Sanders took the ball for the Bear Cubs, shutting down the inning and eventually earning the save in SRJC’s 21st win of the season.

The Bear Cubs traveled back to Sierra April 6, winning the match 5-2 behind a strong pitching effort from sophomore Brian Bynum and infielder Anthony Sequeira who went 2-4 with two hits and two RBIs

As the season winds down, every game is a crucial win for SRJC to move into post-conference play.

“It was really important to win the series against Sierra because that gave us a cushion going into the final weeks,” said infielder Brent Gillespie. “It was a total rubber match: whoever won the series was the first place team in the Big 8. The fact that they were behind us coming into the series, we made it our goal to keep them there after it was all done.”

Next up for SRJC is conference rival Cosumnes River in the second game of a three-game series at 2:30 p.m. April 11 at SRJC’s Sypher Field.

“These last games before postseason play are just as important as the Sierra series,” Gillespie said. “We can’t take any team lightly in the Big 8, winning these last few games will only better us for the playoffs and allow us to receive a top seed.”