SRJC softball falls short against American River

Yna Bollock
Members of the softball team stand ready during the national anthem as they face American River College at Santa Rosa’s Marv Mayes Field Feb. 27, 2024.

The Santa Rosa Junior College softball team suffered a tough loss in a close game against American River College on Tuesday, Feb. 27.

The Bear Cubs started strong with pitcher Jordan Baughn, as she pitched a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the first.

Olivia Gabriel hit a triple to center field. Mallory O’Keefe hit a sacrifice fly which allowed Gabriel to score a run to make it 1-0 in the bottom of the 1st.

In the top of the second, Kaylah Adams hit a single, then scored on a double by Savannah Hanes to make the game even.
SRJC started to struggle as they hit a single followed by three outs in the bottom of the second then conceded three runs. After the top of the third, they were losing 4-1.

Things started to look good for the Bear Cubs as Olivia Gabriel hit a single, managed to steal second base, then reached third on a wild pitch.

Mallory O’Keefe walked then stole second base. Adriana Novak grounded out, allowing Gabriel to score a run to make it 4-2.
Haley Wyatt hit a fantastic two-run home run to make the game even 4-4 in the bottom of the 3rd.

“We looked good early, we just need to figure out how to do that for a full seven innings,” said head coach Madison Green.

After two scoreless innings, American River responded with a run when Bella Garcia scored on an RBI double from Alexis Garcia.

An error from SRJC pitcher Jordan Baughn allowed Mckenzi Smith to reach first and Garcia to advance to third. Adams hit a double that allowed Alexa Garcia to score making it 6-4 in the top of the sixth.

SRJC did the best they could but American River pitcher Breanna Romero gave the Bear Cubs problems, pitching two scoreless innings and shutting down the Bear Cubs bats in the bottom of the sixth and seventh.

“Early in the game we had a good game plan…and I think we lost that, halfway through the game, we need to stick to our plan and stick to what we have been studying,” said Green.

SRJC softball will look to come back as they play their next game away against Folsom on March 5.