SRJC Softball pitchers throw back-to-back shutouts in double header

Yna Bollock
Pitcher Hailey Martin leads the Bear Cubs to a dominant 9-0 victory in Game 1 against West Hills Coalinga at Santa Rosa’s Marv Mayes Field Feb. 10, 2024.

Santa Rosa Junior College softball starting pitchers led the way to two shutout wins in their double header home opener against West Hills Coalinga Friday.

Hailey Martin took the mound for the Bear Cubs to start game one. She pitched a scoreless first, allowing a two-out triple but bounced back with a strikeout

The Bear Cubs’ bats wasted no time at all, putting up four runs on three extra-base hits and two walks in the bottom of the first. First-baseman Adriana Novak hit a two-run double, followed by RBI triples from second baseman Esperanza Marquez and two-way player Martin. 

Martin got out of another jam in the top of the second, getting back-to-back strikeouts with a runner in scoring position.

The SRJC offense kept up the momentum in the bottom half, putting up two more on a two-run double by catcher Hailey Wyatt. The Bear Cubs led 6-0 after two innings.

Martin only allowed one more hit the rest of the way. She finished with five shutout innings, four strikeouts, and only two hits allowed.. 

“[Her] efforts on the mound today are a direct reflection of all the work she has put in since the Fall,” said head coach Madison Green.

The Bear Cubs had a quiet bottom of the third, but continued the onslaught in the fourth, putting up three more runs on three hits including a double and triple.

Martin pitched a 1-2-3 top of the fifth, sealing the 9-0 mercy rule win in the first game. Coach Green spoke about the team’s approach going into game two.

“Any type of win is always a confidence boost but this group is hungry and focused on taking it one game at a time,” coach Green said.

Jordan Baughn was the SRJC starting pitcher for game two. She pitched a 1-2-3 top of the first, getting a strikeout and two routine groundouts. 

The Bear Cubs offense got out to a hot start again, scoring in the first on a triple from Olivia Gabriel followed by a run-scoring fielder’s choice.

Baughn allowed two runners on a hit and a walk in the top of the second, but worked out of the jam with no damage done. She got the next six batters out in order in the third and fourth innings.

After a quiet third inning, Hailey Wyatt led off the bottom of the fourth with a booming solo home run. The Bear Cubs scored two more on an RBI double by Gabriela Schenone and an error by the left-fielder that scored a run.

SRJC led 5-0 going into the top of the fifth. Baughn got out of another jam in the fifth after she allowed two runners, but stranded them both.

More fireworks for the Bear Cubs in the bottom of the fifth, as they scored two more on a RBI single from Adriana Novak and a sac fly by Gabriela Schenone. 

“We swung the bat really well today,” said coach Green. “We looked confident and in control from the first pitch to the last. It’s always fun to watch this team when they are all clicking.”

Baughn once again allowed two more baserunners in the top of the sixth, but battled back to escape unscathed. West Hills Coalinga left six runners on base in game two, and nine on the day.

Wyatt scored on an error in the bottom of the sixth to make it 8-0, and sealed another mercy rule win for the Bear Cubs.

Like Martin before her, Jordan Baughn dominated on the mound, going six shutout innings with four strikeouts and only three hits allowed.

SRJC outscored West Hills Coalinga 17-0 on the day, and moved to 6-2 on the season. The Bear Cubs will look to have another dominant performance in Tuesday’s doubleheader at Yuba College.