SRJC softball picks up a big 6-3 win at home against the Vikings

Santa+Rosa+infielders+celebrate+after+catcher+Haley+Wyatt+made+a+run+saving+play+after+a+wild+pitch+to+end+the+top+of+the+fourth+inning.+
Christian Vieyra
Santa Rosa infielders celebrate after catcher Haley Wyatt made a run saving play after a wild pitch to end the top of the fourth inning.

Santa Rosa Junior College softball team picked up another win after piling on six runs against Diablo Valley College at the Marv Mayes Field on April 4.

“It’s always nice to win at home. It’ll help us come together and hopefully stick together throughout the rest of the season,” pitcher Maya Weigel-Murphy said.

The first inning saw Santa Rosa take an early 1-0 lead, with outfielder Carmen Haugen getting walked with the bases loaded to bring utility player Mallory O’Keefe home.

In the second inning the Bear Cubs took over. Defensively they recorded two strikeouts, and brought in three runs on two hits that made the score 4-0.

Diablo Valley slowly tried coming back, putting up one run in the third inning and two runs in the fifth inning to make the score 4-3. Unfortunately for the Vikings, that’s the closest the scoreline would be, with Santa Rosa putting up a monstrous four hits in the sixth inning to grab two more runs.

The seventh inning saw the Vikings desperately trying to catch up to the Bear Cubs to no avail, putting up two hits but no runs as the game ended before the bottom of the seventh could be played.

The Bear Cubs players looked great on both sides all game, committing zero errors all game compared to Diablo Valley’s three. As well as having eight hits compared to the Viking’s seven despite having played one less inning at bat. 

Notable Bear Cubs performances include catcher Haley Wyatt, who not only caught a bunt from behind home plate for an out, but also managed to get multiple base hits.

Another noteworthy performance was Hailey Butcher. Butcher served up a 2-run double in the second inning to put the Bear Cubs up by three, as well as multiple base hits herself as well.

Santa Rosa pitcher and first baseman Maya Weigel-Murphy played exceedingly well both on the mound and in the batter’s box all seven innings. Weigel-Murphy put up an impressive performance with multiple hits, including an RBI, as well as multiple strikeouts on the other end. 

“Obviously the dichotomy of pitching and hitting is really interesting, as a pitcher you understand hitters and as a hitter you understand pitchers,” Weigel-Murphy said. “I feel like I hit and pitch better when I’m doing both at the same time, which is kind of interesting, it’s a good place for me.” 

The Bear Cubs softball team are looking to use this win as momentum for the remainder of the season.