Easy at-home workouts; (Add dog for difficulty)

Working out from home can be difficult, especially if you don’t have equipment and don’t know what to do. If the article’s 10 workout ideas don’t seem challenging enough, you can always invite your dog to participate. 

Go for a walk 

This is the easiest thing you can do. Walk around your neighborhood or wherever you can for 25 minutes. Take your dog and breath in the fresh air while keeping your social distance from others.  

Go for a run

This doesn’t have to be too long, but 20 minutes is the minimum. This will allow you to get your heart rate up and get in a good sweat. You may need to run and walk alternately until you build your endurance. Do this a couple times a week. 

Planet Fitness 

You don’t need to be a member at Planet Fitness to access its Facebook live stream. The gym has free workout videos, and each day a Planet Fitness trainer holds a live stream workout.  Planet Fitness Facebook Page 

Laundry Soap Bottles 

Laundry Soap bottles are a great substitution if you don’t have weights. I have been using them to do bicep curls and tricep extensions. Do 10-15 reps of these for each arm. 

Bicep Curls on YouTube

Abs

Summer is right around the corner, and it’s time for ab season. You don’t need any equipment for an ab workout. Planks, sit-ups,bicycle kicks, Russian twists and double leg lifts. 10 or 15 reps for each exercise. I have been doing these a couple times a week and I have been seeing results. Plank demonstration.

Push-Ups

Do whatever you feel comfortable doing, the man or women verison. Ten reps is the minimum; if you can do more, great. Push Up Demonstration.

Squats

Doing 20 of these will get your legs burning. These are great for both the upper and lower body, but mainly to strengthen your legs. With doing squats; keep your feet a shoulders width, keep your back straight when you go down and don’t have your knees cross your toes. How to do a proper squat.  

Jumping Jacks

This allows you to get your heart-rate up and jumping strengthens your calves. Do 30 reps minimum

Lunges 

These are great for your glutes, hamstrings, quads and hips. Do both forward and backward lunges for 10 reps each. 

Burpees 

You can choose to add to push-ups or not, whatever you feel comfortable with. This exercise focuses on strength and is a full-body exercise. You will work the arms, chest, quads, glutes, hamstrings and abs. After doing a few sets of these, your legs will feel like Jell-O. Do 10 reps for these.  How to do a burpee   

Kayla Beaton, Staff Writer
Kayla Beaton is in her third year at SRJC, majoring in journalism. This is her second semester with The Oak Leaf and this is her first semester as co-sports editor. She hopes to transfer in the fall to either Sonoma State, Long Beach State, San Diego State or Cal State Fullerton. Kayla wants to become a sports broadcaster in hopes of working at ESPN. Kayla grew up playing and watching sports, she also loves dogs and has three of her own.

• S

SueApr 9, 2020 at 1:16 pm

Great advice and hilarious video:)
    Work-out with the dog is a 20 on a scale of 1-10.
    Too much for my blood!!