SRJC men’s basketball counts 18 wins in a row

First-year guard Skylar Chavez knocks down the jumper in their win Tuesday against Sierra College at Haehl Pavilion.
 The Santa Rosa Junior College Men’s basketball team extended their winning streak to 18 games Tuesday after defeating Sierra College 84-61 at Haehl Pavilion.

The Bear Cubs (22-4) started hot on both sides of the ball, going on a 13-0 run within the the first six minutes of the game.

Second-year guard Jordan Graves said, “After three away games, we came out focused. It was good to be back home.”

Graves finished with three points, nine rebounds and two assists.

“We were very crisp offensively in the first half,” said assistant coach Ryan Cook. “We had a good week of practice and it showed tonight.”

The Bear Cubs went into cruise control for the rest of the first half and established a 30-point lead, ending the first half at 47-14.

“We came out in the first half strong and played with a lot of energy,” said head coach Craig McMillan.

Sierra College mounted a comeback in the second half, cutting the deficit to 15 points.

“Once our guys saw we were up by 30, they started to play a little more sloppy,” Cook said.

The Bear Cubs were able to find their rhythm again by establishing a big lead, pushing the score to 64-36 with 10 minutes remaining in the game.

After surviving a small comeback by Sierra College, the Bear Cubs added another game in the win column with a final score of 84-61.

The Bear Cubs look to extend their win streak to 19 games at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday at Haehl Pavilion, against American River for the final game of the regular season.

Additional Reporting by Ian MacGregor.