Bear Cub women off to 2-0 start

Dakota McGranahan

The Santa Rosa Junior College tennis team went on the road with a win for the women and the first loss for the men on Thursday at Cabrillo College.

The Bear Cubs women’s team outplayed the Cabrillo College Hawks in singles, winning 3-1. First-year Sandy Yang  maintained her hot streak to start the season, improving to 4-0 in overall matches, as the Bear Cubs are now 2-0 on the season.

Yang also teamed up with second-year Thu Dang to dominate their doubles match 8-0 to seal the win for the Bear Cubs

Second-year Trevor Pinder came back to win his match after dropping the first set. Second-year Andres Jojoa-Ortega and first-year Cade Stan both won their first-ever SRJC matches.

The men’s team dropped its first game of the season 5-4, but after losing two doubles matches, stormed back to win all four singles matches..

Head coach Connor Van Alstyne was impressed with his team’s play on Thursday, but saw a couple things to work on in the upcoming week. “Doubles play will be a focal point of the week, as well as serving and returning,” Van Alstyne said.

SRJC Women’s tennis faces Foothill College at 1 p.m. Feb. 1 at the Izzy Derkos courts at the Santa Rosa campus.

Men’s tennis will travel to the Modesto Tournament on Feb. 9, at Modesto Junior College.