Bear Cubs’ offense shines in 3-0 win over American River

The Santa Rosa Junior College Bear Cubs offense could not be stopped during their 3-0 win against American River College on Nov. 3 at Cook’s Cypher Field.

The last time the Bear Cubs [7-7-3] (3-3-2) faced American River [6-6-7] (2-4-2) the game resulted in a draw.

“It was not a good game the first time we played,” said assistant coach Matt Brabetz. “With a horrible loss on Tuesday, it sometimes takes a loss to get a win.”

Sophomore Tarwinder Purewal opened scoring with a shot right outside the box in the 32nd minute, making it 1-0. He followed up his goal with a Lebron James-like celebration.

Later in the game, Sophomore Juan Hernandez added to the lead in the 71st minute with a goal inside the box, finding the right side of the net.

The final goal came in the 83rd minute when freshman David Luis received an assist from Hernandez, making it 3-0.

With only two games left in the regular season, the Bear Cubs are right on the fence of reaching playoffs.

“We are in a situation where we have win both. If we can get these final two games taken care of, we will be in the playoffs,” Brabetz said. “Thankfully, our guys know late in the season what is at stake.”

Freshman leader Luke McCabe was on a minute restriction today with a nagging injury.

“It’s as pain permits kind of injury,” Brabetz said. “As time goes on he will get better, but he is fine.”

The Bear Cubs will take on San Joaquin Delta at 3 p.m. on Nov. 7 in Stockton, CA.