Bear Cubs’ defense holds on to win second home game

Mathew Wreden
Santa Rosa Junior College freshman Owen Mccabe pushes the ball up the field attempting to seal the Bear Cubs 2-1 win over Merritt College on Sept. 19 in Santa Rosa.

The Santa Rosa Junior College Bear Cubs won their second home game of the season beating Merritt College 2-1 on Tuesday at Cooks Cypher Field in Santa Rosa.

SRJC’s first goal came early in the 20th minute when sophomore Juan Hernandez drove down the field and kicked it into the back of the net.

“He is someone that can become dangerous for us. Most teams forget about him because of his long loping strides,” said assistant coach Dave Latourette. “He is finding himself in places and getting dangerous on the field for us.”

Seventeen minutes later, sophomore Tarwinder Purewal found the left corner of the net for the Bear Cubs [3-4-1] second goal of the game.

Only four minutes later, Merritt got on the scoreboard making it 2-1 going into halftime.

In the second half began both offenses were dead in their tracks and the Bear Cubs held the lead the remainder of the game.

“Everything was a step late, recognizing was late and we didn’t have the right energy,” Latourette said.

A recurring theme early into SRJC’s season has been their need to grind out each game.

“I think that is how our season is going to go,” Latourette said. “The last four years we have been gifted with offensive weapons that can score. With more goals we were able to sub more guys in.”

The Bear Cubs next match is against American River College at 4 p.m. Sept. 22 in Sacramento.