SRJC loses home opener

Albert Gregory
Dominic Laird fights off a would-be tackler and advances the ball up the pitch.

The Bear Cubs’ late surge was not enough as they lost their home opener 2-1 Friday night to Las Positas College.

The game opened up in a stalemate with a score of 0-0 in the first half.

It remained scoreless until the 51st minute when the Los Positas Hawks scored their first goal on a boot from mid field. In the 65th minute, the Hawks scored again making it 2-0.

Santa Rosa Junior College Assistant Coach Matt Brabetz said,”We had some guys disjointed in the game and this was only their sixth game together. We have a very young team and we need to work together.”

SRJC’s offensive drought continued until the 81st minute when sophomore Owen McCabe scored the Bear Cub’s first goal at home. He maneuvered his way through the defense and fired the ball into the back of the net.

The Bear Cubs made a lot of pushes in the last nine minutes but could not tie it up and the game ended with a home opener loss.

“With only a few returning players we need to get some more games under our belts,” Brabetz said. “Also, for the new players, it’s a new learning curve and it is a big adjustment.”

SRJC will take on Napa Valley College 4 p.m. on Sept. 12 at Cook Sypher field.