Blind and Inconsistent: NFL officiating hits new low

ASSOCIATED PRESS
A referee picks up the yellow flag during the second half of an NFL preseason football game between the Denver Broncos and the Arizona Cardinals, Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012,in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

In the NFL, blaming the referees after losing a game has always been a cheap excuse for fans and players. Referees will miss calls now and again – they’re

human – but this season has been the worst officiated season through 11 weeks since the replacement referees in 2012.

These refs have called penalties that didn’t exist as well as not calling penalties that were blatantly obvious. From calling phantom pass interference,

invisible holding calls, inadvertent whistles, roughing the passer penalties on clean hits, problems with clock management…the list continues.

Throughout the past couple weeks there were a countless amount of missed calls. Some major ones were: Steelers James Harrison’s roughing the passer

penalty because he pushed Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson while he was still in bounds, 49ers Quinton Dial’s roughing the passer penalty on a textbook sack

against Cardinal’s quarterback Carson Palmer, as well as an inadvertent whistle during a Patriots play on Monday Night Football that could’ve arguably ended

in a touchdown for Danny Amendola.

“We’ve had some mistakes that have happened in high-profile games and it’s drawn a lot of attention,” said Dean Blandino, NFL’s vice president of

officiating.

Not only are coaches, players and fans angry about missed calls, they are also not pleased with the miniscule amount of consistency from game to game.

It is apparent that NFL referees often do not agree on what is a penalty and what is not. Some referees will call PI with a little amount of touch and others

won’t call PI with an excessive amount of touch. With that type of inconsistency how are the players supposed to play the game?