Go for the kill

Guillaume Jackson
The Bear Cubs volleyball team huddles before a preseason match.

Santa Rosa Junior College women’s volleyball team ended its preseason with a dominating 10-2 record going into conference.

Out of the Bear Cubs’ 10 wins, six of them were matches they won in the first three games, essentially shutting out their opponents.

In the Delta Classic, held Sept. 11, the Bear Cubs did a solid job at showcasing their talents.

“Our team worked hard for a seventh place finish at the tournament of 16 teams,” head coach Kaitlin Ferguson said. “The tournament was filled with most of the

teams who made postseason appearances last year, and therefore SRJC did a good job making a mark for themselves as top contenders in the north this season.”

The young team hopes its preseason prowess will carry them farther in the playoffs then last season.

Sophomore hitters Tori Garzoli and Brianna Ortiz led the preseason charge, helping the team to multiple victories with a total of 121 and 86 kills.

On the defensive side of the net, sophomore libero Mimi Fowler led the team in digs with 155. Freshman defensive specialist You Nara was second with 81 digs.

Bear Cubs setter Emily Bonfigli finished the preseason with an overwhelming 429 assists in their first 12 matches.

The Bear Cubs began their conference season with a 1-2 record, losing against American River College (2-3) and San Joaquin (0-3) before getting a shutout win

against Diablo Valley College (3-0).