Bear Cubs dominate

Soccer team remains undefeated
JoshuOne Barnes
SRJC Women’s Soccer Match .

The women’s soccer team (10-0-2, 3-0-2) remains undefeated 12 games into the season, with a second-best record in the Big 8 Conference behind San Joaquin Delta (4-0-1).

During her first year as head coach, Crystal Howard continues to experience success. While that victories can be attributed to many sources, the team’s defense has been world class thus far.

Goalkeepers Ali Miller and Ally Milone make it difficult for any opponent to score, with only three goals allowed so far this season as SRJC collected shutouts in 10 out of 12 contests.

Miller [.931] is currently ranked fourth in save percentage in the California Community College Athletics Association.

“Offense wins games and defense wins championships, and our defense has the potential to take us far this season,” said freshman Amanda Galbraith.

Santa Rosa is tied for second with Diablo Valley College for goals allowed in the Big 8 Conference. Both teams trail San Joaquin Delta who hasn’t allowed a conference game goal so far.

For as impressive as defense has been, the offense is nearly as good. SRJC currently boasts a plus-46 point differential, outscoring  opponents 49-3.

The team averages 4.5 goals per game, the highest in the Big 8 Conference. Galbraith leads SRJC with 16 goals and seven assists. Close behind her is freshman Sophia Maso with 10 goals.

“The team is building chemistry every day. We have big goals for the season, and I’m confident we’ll reach these goals if we keep working hard,” said Galbraith, who is tied for second in CCCAA’s goal leader category, and third in points with 39.

With a young team, strong leadership in captains Liz Duport, Angelica Moralez and Holle Depina is key.

As SRJC prepares to face  upcoming challenging opponents, obstacles like fatigue could prevent the team from keeping its outstanding record. 

“We’ve been very strong, and hopefully our momentum continues, but obviously when you go undefeated for this long the target gets bigger,” Howard said.  “Teams are going to want to be the first to beat you. It’s all going to be tough from here on out.”

SRJC looks to continue its winning ways at 3 p.m. Oct. 13 against its toughest opponent this season, San Joaquin Delta, at the University of the Pacific in Stockto

Anthony Sosa, Sports Editor
JoshuOne Barnes, Staff Writer

• M

MikeOct 13, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Hello Anthony. The team is missing all the stats from the Sac City game. I have stats if u need but Crystal should have. It’s important because Amanda Galbraith added 3 more goals to get her the lead in CCCAA Sorry if I’m a bother. Thanks