SRJC baseball sweeps Sierra en route to six straight wins

Joseph Barkoff
Jake Scheiner steals third base on a passed ball against Sierra College April 24 at Sypher Field. The Bear Cubs swept with a 26-10 overall record and a 15-6 conference record.

In exciting fashion in the bottom of the ninth, the Santa Rosa Junior College baseball team [26-10,15-6] finished a series sweep over Sierra College at Sypher Field April 24.

In the first game, the Bear Cubs scored early and often, putting up four runs in the second inning behind a deluge of extra base hits, and continued to pile on throughout the afternoon, eventually winning 10-1.

Pitcher Alec Rennard was electric, pitching eight innings of three-hit ball. “I was able to find the strike zone early in the game and got into a good rhythm,” Rennard said. “That allowed me to consistently get ahead in the count and forced soft contact on two-strike pitches from the opposing team.”

Rennard also said the early run support was huge because it allowed him to attack hitters, making his job a whole lot easier.

In the second game of the series, the Bear Cubs stayed hot, using a balanced offensive attack led by catcher Ryan Haug and outfielder Zach Hall to score eight runs.

Pitcher Kyle Mitchell went eight strong innings, allowing eight hits and a pair of runs.

Bear Cubs assistant coach Tom Francois said the recent string of dominant pitching performances is showing just how deep the team’s staff is. “The offense has had its ups and downs this season, but the pitching has been about as consistently good as we could ask for,” Francois said.

The final game may have been short on runs, but it wasn’t short on drama. The Bear Cubs prevailed behind a gutsy pitching performance from staff ace Garrett Hill, and an incredible game from third baseman Jake Hedrick, who grounded a two-out walk-off single through the left side of the infield, giving the Bear Cubs their sixth straight win.

Those in attendance will remember Hedrick’s clutch hit as the highlight of the game, but his defense was just as impressive. His leaping catch turned a two-run double into a double play in the third inning, and saved another run with a diving stop in the eighth.

Pitcher Garrett Hill didn’t have his best stuff, but managed to throw six shutout innings, keeping his team in the game by making pitches when it counted.

“This was an important start for me,” Hill said. “Confidence is huge in the game of baseball, and to go out there and pitch like I did today does a lot for my confidence heading into the playoffs.”

The Bear Cubs look to continue their success during the Regional Playoffs beginning May 1. Location TBA.