Bear Cub bats come to life in victory over DeAnza

The Santa Rosa Junior College baseball team won 10-0 in a one-sided game against De Anza College, in which the Bear Cubs scored often Feb. 5.

Offense was a huge factor, as the Bear Cubs scored in six of eight innings out of the nine.

The three and two spot on the board did most of the Bear Cubs’ damage during the fifth and eighth innings, combining for half their runs.

The Bear Cubs started off the first inning in a great way, loading the bases with the first three batters. Then right fielder Zach Hall knocked in two runs with a single to give them an early 2-0 lead. In the third inning, the Bear Cubs put up another run with an RBI single by first baseman Weston Bryan.

The Bear Cubs took a comfortable lead in the fifth inning. With already one run knocked in, during the inning, left fielder Ryan Walsh stepped up and delivered a two-RBI double to give the Bear Cubs a 6-0 lead.

The Bear Cubs put four more runs on the board in the next three innings, to make it a final score of 10-0.

“This game was definitely a positive direction offensively,” said head coach Damon Neidlinger.
Neidlinger made a big point that the Bear Cubs were staying in on the ball and taking an opposite field approach, which they hadn’t done in their first few games of the season.

The Bear Cubs shut out DeAnza College as pitching was a strong point. Alec Rennard went five and two-thirds of an inning, with five strikeouts as the starting pitcher.

Garrett Hill, Matt Estes and Vijay Patel came in relief for Rennard. All four pitchers only allowed a combined five hits.

The Bear Cubs are off to good start to this young season with a record of 3-1.

In a Feb. 7 game the Bear Cubs won in a close 3-2 game against Alumni College; In a Feb. 10 game, they won 9-3 against Laney College.

The Bear Cubs next game will be at 2 p.m. against Los Medanos College in Brentwood and then home at 1 p.m. Against Los Medanos.