Bear Cubs send home Chabot in extra innings

The Santa Rosa Junior College baseball team won 4-3 in dramatic fashion in its first home game against Chabot College Jan. 31.

With two outs, in the bottom of the 10th inning, Cyrus Ah-Quin stepped up and knocked in the game-winning run to give the Bear Cubs the walk-off victory.

In a game that took five innings to finally get a run on the board, it became exciting once extra innings hit. Tied at 3 heading into the 10th inning, it looked as if the next team to score would end up winning the game.

In the top of the 10th Chabot had a leadoff double followed by a single that led to a 3-2 lead. With their backs pushed against the wall the Bear Cubs had to score this inning or start the season 0-2.

In the bottom of the 10th, the Bear Cubs’ offense woke up. They started the inning with a walk and a fielder’s choice and a throwing error, which put runners on third and first. Then freshman catcher Ryan Haug stepped up to the plate and delivered a bunt single to tie the game.
The Chabot pitcher then recorded a strikeout and then got a fielder’s choice to put runners back on third and first before Ah-Quin’s two out hit sealed the game.

“I’ve had a few [walk offs] but this is way better, because it’s in college,” Ah-Quin said.

Garrett Hill started the game for the Bear Cubs and threw seven solid innings, allowed one unearned run and recorded six strikeouts.

“I came out ready to shove it,” Hill said. “I focused on locating my pitches.”

The Bear Cubs are now 1-1. Their next game is at 2 p.m. Feb. 2 against De Anza College in Cupertino.