Wrestling roundup

The Santa Rosa Junior College wrestling team is preparing for the second biggest meet of the season, and with everyone competing, it’s going to be an exciting weekend.

With a 9-5 record, 2-2 in conference, any positive record is a good one in one of the toughest conferences in the state, making it a successful season over all.

The Dec. 7 state qualifier will be the biggest meet for the wrestlers this season. Coach Jake Fitzpatrick believes that Logan Fore and Aaron Pen-Kruger, both at 133 pounds, Kaden Martin, 165 pounds, and Isai Guzman at 184 pounds, all have chances of going to State.

“Everyone has a good change making it to State. It’s all how hard you worked in the practice room,” Guzman said.

Team captain Pen-Kruger said,  “I haven’t been wrestling at my full potential so I am not ranked. But I am 3-2 with the wrestler who is ranked number one in our region, number four for state.”

Robert Smith, 125 pounds, says he has a good chance at state too.

Billy Marshall, 197 pounds, also reckons he has a chance to go to State. “I think I am very underestimated and the dark horse but I know I will do good at regionals and definitely go to state,” Marshall said.

As the year is coming to a close the wrestlers reflected what it’s like to be on the team and what they have learned about themselves.

“Joining the wrestling team has probably taught me most about discipline. I learned about myself that I have the motivation to do things that most people wouldn’t do or ever want to do. I learned that my heart is bigger than I thought. The experience has been great and hopefully doesn’t stop after this year. The experience has been one of a kind,” Martin said.

“The biggest thing I’ve learned is self-confidence, not to doubt myself before a match. I have really enjoyed the experience. I have made new friends and like the higher level of competition,” Smith said.