Polar Bears Hockey: SRJC Ends Win Streak, Finishes Regular Season on a High

The SRJC Polar Bears Hockey team ended its nine-game win streak with a loss Feb. 8, but turned around the next day for a victory to end the regular season.

Taking on San Jose State University’s Division II team, the Polar Bears traveled to Sharks Ice Friday in hopes for another win. SJSU has been stiff competition for the Polar Bears in previous years and SRJC looked to skate strong

The two teams kept the game close, with the scored tied at three goals apiece in the third period. But Polar Bears forward Alexi Kulikouskiy gave SRJC the lead and victory looked close. Then with 16.2 seconds left on the clock, SJSU scored on a powerplay to send it to overtime. Not even a minute into overtime, San Jose scored and won it 5-4.

The next day SRJC took on its Pacific Collegiate Hockey Association rival, the Santa Clara Broncos.

From the very start the Polar Bears took charge, putting up four goals in the first period. Forward Cam Davis opened the second period with a goal and SRJC added five more to put the Polar Bears up 10-2. Santa Clara almost made a comeback in the third period, scoring four goals to cut SRJC’s lead down to 4. But in the end it wasn’t enough, SRJC won the game, 11-4.

Up next for the Polar Bears is the PCHA playoffs, which will be held in Lake Tahoe in a couple weeks.