SRJC Tennis: New Look Team Aims to Reclaim Big 8 Conference After Multiple Season Skid

With only one player returning from last season, the SRJC tennis teams look to bring youth, energy and fresh faces to improve its record from last season.

Improving on the women’s overall record of 13-3 will be a tall task, with their only losses coming from the Big 8 North Conference co-champions, American River College and Sierra College. Coach Jay Samonte looks forward to taking on this ambitious challenge.

“I am real excited for the girls’ team. We only have one student returning to the [mens’] team from last year,” Samonte said. “So this is the student’s first taste of college athletics and a new adventure together.”

The returning player for the mens’ team is Chase Sariaslani, who will be playing number one singles. The other players are either new to the team or redshirted last season.

Both men’s and womens’ teams are looking for big wins against their respective conference rivals, after losing twice last season to defending 2012 co-champions American River College for the men and Sierra College for the women.

The men’s first game is at 2 p.m. Jan. 31 at Sonoma State University. The first home game is at 1 p.m. Feb. 5 against Modesto Junior College.

The womens’ first game is at 1 p.m. Jan. 31 at City College of San Francisco. The first home game is at 2 p.m. Feb. 12 against Foothill College.