Bear Cubs Receive New Football Coach: Lenny Wagner Rises to Challenge

SRJC’s long-time successful football coach, Keith Simons, decided to step away from the head coaching job after 17 years, so the Bear Cub football team will start the 2013 season with a new head coach.

His name is Lenny Wagner, who was previously the team’s defensive coordinator and currently serves as SRJC’s Department Chair of Kinesiology, Athletics and Dance.

After playing football in high school and at Fullerton Junior College, Wagner played for Sonoma State University from 1989-90, where in both seasons he was named team captain, MVP and Athletic Hall of Fame Player.

Prior to coming to SRJC, Wagner served as Mendocino College’s head football coach, where he led his team to its best season and record in school history (9-1), earning him the title of Bay Valley Conference Coach of the Year.

Now, Wagner will take on the challenge as the Bear Cubs head coach and his expectations are high for the upcoming season. Wagner hopes to compete for the NorCal Championship and reach the team’s first bowl game since 2008.

When asked what he is most looking forward to this season, Wagner said, “Competing in the best conference in JC football. All of the coaches in the conference are personal friends of mine, which makes the competition and challenge even more rewarding.”

In addition to a new head coach, there will be a couple major changes to the football program. The first includes Wagner’s fellow SSU teammates and coaches Myron Williams, Gerrald Demerey, Todd Little and Jeff Tubbs, who joined the football staff this year. Also, the home game times may change to Friday nights at 7 p.m., but the change is currently waiting for approval from conference teams.

With a new experienced and qualified head coach, the upcoming 2013 season looks promising for the Bear Cub football team.

The Bear Cubs will kick off their season next fall on Saturday, Aug. 31. against Mendocino College in Ukiah.