Bear Cub Football hopes for a win in 11th annual Clo Classic

Jenna Burkman, Staff Writer

The SRJC football team will host its first home game since Sept. 15 as the Bear Cubs face Big 8 Conference rival Foothill College in the 11th annual Clo Classic Oct. 20 at Bailey Field.

After a‭ ‬21-6‭ ‬loss to Butte College last weekend, the Bear Cubs look to get back in the win column with a victory in the Clo Classic charity game. Sponsored by Clover Stornetta Farms, the football team votes for a charity to donate all game proceeds to.‭ ‬This year,‭ SRJC ‬will play for Paths for Housing Stability and the Sloan House Women’s Shelter.

The event was previously held at the end of the season as a Bowl Game but is now a NorCal Conference contest that takes place in the middle of the season.‭

“‬It’s a nice event and a couple other teams in Northern California are doing the same thing with their season,‭” ‬said head coach Keith Simons.‭ “‬We were the first ones to do it and that’s pretty cool.‭”

After the game,‭ ‬MVP awards are given out and an award is given to one of the Bear Cub players who has overcome adversity at SRJC.

In addition to the game, ‬a carnival will be held between the Zumwalt Parking Garage and Bailey Field.‭ ‬The carnival will begin at‭ ‬5‭ ‬p.m.‭ ‬featuring different booths and activities organized by various student clubs.

‬A lot of time and preparation is put into the Clo Classic,‭ ‬SRJC’s most prestigious home football event.‭ “‬It’s a special game and Clover puts a lot of effort into it,‭” ‬Simons said.

‬The Bear Cubs look to end their losing streak against the‭ ‬3-3‭ ‬Owls.‭ “‬It will come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes and who plays their game for four quarters,‭” ‬Simons said.‭ “‬Both teams are going to be hungry for a win.‭”

Tickets for the event are‭ ‬$10‭ ‬adult,‭ ‬$6‭ ‬student‭ (‬with Associated Students ID‭) ‬and‭ ‬$4‭ ‬for children and seniors.

The Bear Cubs take the field at 7 p.m.