After Two Close Losses in Colorado the SRJC Hockey Team Remains Determined to Improve: Polar Bears Come Home

After beginning the season with three wins in as many games, the SRJC Polar Bears hockey team lost two straight matches to Colorado hockey clubs and are now 3-2 overall.

The Polar Bears took their undefeated record to Colorado Sept. 28-29 to face both the Colorado University Buffs and Colorado State University. SRJC was prepared for intense, 1-goal games but intent on pulling out a victory or two.

On Sept. 28 SRJC suffered a devastating loss to the Buff s, who the Polar Bears knocked out of the playoff s in the 2011-2012 season. The Polar Bears started out strong with forward Josiah Nikkel scoring two goals within the first minutes, although the Buff s gave SRJC plenty of opportunities to pad the Polar Bears’ lead.

The team began to struggle and quickly fell behind 8-3. By the end of the second period, goalie Jacob Pavsek had allowed nine goals, the most he’s given up in a Polar Bears uniform.

SRJC nearly came back to tie it in the third period, but several players failed to score the tying goal despite several chances in the last few minutes of the game. SRJC lost to the CU Buff s, 9-8.

Determined to return to winning form the next day, the Polar Bears took on Colorado State but did not fare any better. Colorado scored first and so began an intense, physical battle. SRJC managed to score, with goals by David Horton and Jackson Joyce, but Colorado pushed harder. At the end of the game it was Colorado State 4, SRJC 3.

Despite a terrible road trip, the Polar Bears are content with the losses.

“Overall we did amazing and those close games will help our rankings in the ACHA,” said forward John Hutton.

The Polar Bears will play UC Davis Oct. 13 at Snoopy’s Home Ice. The puck drops at 8:30 p.m