Complete game shutout powers Bear Cubs to fourth straight win

Coming off a marathon 22-inning win April 21, the SRJC Bear Cubs bested the American River College Beavers 2-0, thanks to a stellar complete-game effort by sophomore pitcher Bryan Webster.

Webster, who received the loss in his last four consecutive starts, executed each pitch with confidence and control, catching American River off balance the entire game. With help from his defense, Webster powered through nine innings giving up only five hits while striking out five batters and walking one.

The Bear Cubs were able to take advantage of American River starting pitcher Sammy Vergara early in the game, in a very unconventional way. Ryan Xexpoleas lead off the first inning with a walk, advanced to second on a passed ball, then moved to third on a Nick Rodda single to center. With Patrick Moniez up to bat, home plate umpire Brian Cline signaled for a balk and Xepoleas trotted across home.

The Bear Cubs would not add another run until Anthony Sequeira’s pinch hit single in the seventh, but the first run by Xepoleas was all the Bear Cubs needed. With Webster keeping the Beavers off the board each inning, the Bear Cubs inched closer and closer to the team’s fourth straight win.

Webster threw an absolute gem of a game, resembling the same dominance he displayed earlier in the season. He ends the season with a 5-5 record with 2.57 ERA and 44 strikeouts.

Currrently, SRJC is ranked third in the Big 8 Conference with three games left to play. If the Bear Cubs can power through this last week of the regular season, the team has a good shot of playing post-conference baseball.

The team has no more scheduled home games and will travel to Diablo Valley College April 26, followed by a double header against Consumnes River College at American River’s Beaver Field April 27.