Review: King Falafel

Michael Combs
King Falafel serves Mediterranean classics like lamb Gyros and Lebni sandwiches.

King Falafel | 100 Brown St. #150, Sebastopol | (707)-824-4800 | All entrees under $15

5 of 5 Oak Leaves

Signature Dishes

Gyros, falafel sandwiches, Kabobs

Review

If you are looking for healthy and affordable food with unique flavor and plenty of options for both meat-lovers and vegetarians then King Falafel in Sebastopol is a must-try.

King Falafel serves Mediterranean classics such as gyros and kabobs. Gyros are served with either beef, lamb or chicken and the kabobs can be either beef or chicken. The lamb in the gyros has the signature tenderness from being cooked on a vertical rotisserie, while the kabobs have a BBQ flavor. The Mediterranean spices add a unique flavor for any meat you choose, and the included yogurt Tzatziki sauce with chopped cucumbers adds a satisfying crunch to every bite.

If you don’t feel like deviating much from American style food, King Falafel also serves a King or Queen Burger, which is a hamburger with Mediterranean spices added to the ground beef which distinguishes them from a standard burger joint. Standard restaurant french fries are included with each.

For vegetarians, there are six falafel sandwiches to choose from. The falafel has a nice crunchy exterior, with a fresh garbanzo bean flavor on the inside. The pita bread provides a soft blanket for the falafel with a gooeyness that melts with the fresh hummus as you chew.

Or there is the lebni sandwich, which is made with lebni, tomato, cucumber, mint, and za’atar. Lebni, sometimes described as “yogurt cheese,” has a creamy softness, and tastes like a less sour and more flavorful sour cream. The mint and za’atar provide a slight tangy flavor which mixes well with the lebni, and cucumber adds a crunchy pop.

If you are really hungry go with one of their combination plates, the only dishes to exceed $10. The king sampler plate comes with tabouli salad, hummus, baba ghanouj, three falafel, dolmas and cucumber. The tabouli is a parsley salad, not leafy, which has an almost pico de gallo texture, but substantial enough to eat on its own. The cucumber and lemon dressing makes this a refreshing dish to eat on a hot day. The same goes for the baba ghanouj, which also has a subtle lemon and garlic flavor, but has a consistency more like hummus.

In case you haven’t heard of dolmas, they are spiced rice and herbs wrapped in grape leaves, and everyone in the world needs to try one sometime. They are as fresh-tasting as can be at King falafel and the subtle olive oil and lemon flavoring compliment any dish.

They also serve Turkish coffee, which is strong like espresso, but with a hint of spices that cancel out the bitterness.
Most of the plates tasted great the next day either out of the fridge or after a ten-second burst in the microwave. The only exception is the lebni sandwich because the lebni saturates the bread and makes it soggy.

King Falafel has limited outside seating, but is located near Sebastopol Town Square which has benches and a grassy area that provides a nice setting to eat at. Napkins and plastic utensils are provided for take-out upon request.

The Breakdown

Category What were we looking for? Score out of 5
Packaging Neat? Sustainable? Did they remember cutlery? Napkins? Condiments? 5
Hygiene Was clerk wearing gloves? A mask? Both? Neither? What were the pick up and waiting areas like? Clean/neat? 4
Speed and accuracy Food was on counter ready for pickup 5
Portion size Was it filling or were you left wanting more? 5
Leftovers Were there leftovers and, if so, did they reheat well? 5
Quality of Food Freshness, quality of ingredients 5
Tastiness of Food Flavor, spice and texture 5
Customer Service Friendliness, responsiveness 5
Overall Rating With 5 being a perfect score, this restaurant rated: 5

The King Sampler Plate serves a hearty vegetarian meal, which is sure to satisfy those looking to sample a variety of flavors.