Review: Grossman’s Noshery & Bar

Emily Hewitt
The diverse flavors at Grossman’s keep you on your feet throughout the meal.

Grossman’s Noshery & Bar | 308 Wilson St, Santa Rosa | (707) 595-7707 | Most entrees under $15

5 of 5 Oak Leaves

Signature Dishes

Latkes, Matzo Ball Soup, Reuben, Falafel Pita, Sabich Pita

Review

The new Starks restaurant, Grossman’s Noshery and Bar, is the perfect restaurant to get a taste of New York in California. Its large and diverse menu encompasses flavor packed food suited for any palette. The restaurant has everything from a bagel with schmear and lox to brisket to falafel. 

Up for a Nosh? The crispy baby artichokes come in a grand portion. They’re not too oily, light with a crispy exterior that lasts even if they are saved for later. They are served with a thick labneh and a lemon flavored sumac dip which is not too overpowering and adds a great tang. 

The broth in the Matzo Ball soup clearly tastes of carrots and celery making it feel like a wholesome meal. The vegetable pieces in the soup have a slight crunch and are a pleasant addition to each spoonful. The matzo balls are perfectly compacted ensuring they do not fall apart in the soup but are easily chewable. It makes for a perfect appetizer, light meal or leftover midnight snack.

The smoked and pickled fish board can easily be split between four as an appetizer or between two as a meal. It comes with lox, kippered salmon, salmon rillettes, pickled herring, mackerel, cream cheese and an assortment of breads to mix and match flavors. The smoky fish paired with the tangy cream cheese creates a refreshing bite on bread. The herring holds a sweet flavor and is best on a salty cracker for a sweet and salty pairing. 

If you are looking for a vegan or vegetarian option, the falafel pita is a mouth watering combination of flavors that just work. The falafel is crispy on the outside and firm on the inside. The pita is just thick enough to ensure the wrap does not get messy and holds the condiments in. The Israeli Salad and pickled cabbage give the wrap a refreshing tang.

Grossman’s Reuben includes thick cuts of pastrami or corned beef, a smelly—in the best kind of way—cheese and a sweet thousand island dressing that offsets the tart sauerkraut. The Reuben is a classic New York staple; however, this one is just thick enough to fit in your mouth, unlike the traditional larger-than-your-face New York Reubens. It comes with a dill pickle that is immensely flavorful with a slight spice and a nice crunch. 

The coleslaw is finely chopped and not too crunchy due to the generous amount of dressing put on it, making it very flavorful and sweet. The potato salad consisted of soft potatoes with a creamy mayonnaise sauce and large chunks of green onion. Both sides pair well with the Reuben or really any dish on the menu.

The pièce de résistance is the soft serve labneh, a refreshing and complex mix of textures and flavors. The crunch from the pistachio honeycomb starts sweet and ends with a spicy kick and an added layer of flavor from sesame seeds. The cajeta, goat milk caramel, has nodes of Cardamom and is a sticky addition to the sweet and creamy vanilla and hibiscus swirl soft serve. 

The Breakdown

Category What were we looking for? Score out of 5
Packaging Neat? Sustainable? Did they remember cutlery? Napkins? Condiments? 4
Hygiene Was clerk wearing gloves? A mask? Both? Neither? What were the pick up and waiting areas like? Clean/neat? 5
Speed and accuracy Food was on counter ready for pickup 5
Portion size Was it filling or were you left wanting more? 5
Leftovers Were there leftovers and, if so, did they reheat well? 5
Quality of Food Freshness, quality of ingredients 5
Tastiness of Food Flavor, spice and texture 5
Customer Service Friendliness, responsiveness 5
Overall Rating With 5 being a perfect score, this restaurant rated: 5