Review: Cumin Restaurant

Sophia Ginsberg
Superbly aromatic, comfortingly traditional and gloriously flavorful, Cumin Restaurant offers an incredible variety of dishes that are sure to spice up your dining experience.

Cumin Restaurant | 170 Farmers Lane, Suite 8, Santa Rosa | (707) 771-8336 | Most entrees under $20

4.5 of 5 Oak Leaves

Signature Dishes

Chicken Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken, Chana Masala, Vindaloo (lamb, shrimp, chicken) and a mouth-watering variety of Naan.

Review

From tender Tandoor baked Chicken Choila to crispy-shelled Samosas stuffed with beautifully spiced potatoes and peas, Cumin Restaurant brings a distinct Himalayan twist to the taste buds. 

All of the portions from Cumin’s extensive menu are generous (two massive Samosas for only $5), condiments are in great proportion to the dishes and together both are highly satisfying. The Veggie Momos (a popular vegan option), filled with savory filling and combined with a sweet sauce, are munchable, comforting appetizers. 

Both the crispy Egg Fried Rice and Chicken Choila warm the palate with slow, gentle spiciness. The Chicken Choila had options for levels of heat; medium spice packs a punch but is not overwhelmingly fiery. 

The unexpected highlight of the order was the Aloo Saag. Superbly prepared potatoes hide in a velvety blanket of spinach and aromatic spices — the dish is surprisingly refreshing and dangerously delicious. Fresh, buttery, garlicky Naan accompanies all the food perfectly and pairs especially well with the Aloo Saag and Chicken Choila. 

A simple sweet Rice Pudding and unsweetened Chai Tea bring the meal full circle. The mildly sweetened and well-textured pudding has a cooling, balancing effect, and the Chai Tea is satisfyingly savory alongside the delicate sweetness of the pudding. 

There are no indoor eating options, but pickup was quick, secure and easy. All staff were fully masked and friendly. Napkins and cutlery are optional for extra cost. En route, the car quickly filled with the scent of warm spices; sometimes takeout can cause an unpleasant aroma to linger in the corners of the vehicle, but this aromatic bag left the mouth watering and dispersed quickly after arriving home. 

Leftovers reheated very well by themselves and when used in other dishes; the Chicken Choila made delicious sandwiches, and the Egg Fried Rice was tasty in a burrito. 

Cumin Restaurant’s incredible variety of courses ensure there is something for everyone, and the distinct identity of Indian, Nepalese and Himalayan fusion in Cumin’s dishes is a welcome respite from mainstream eats.

The Breakdown

Category What were we looking for? Score out of 5
Packaging Neat? Sustainable? Did they remember cutlery? Napkins? Condiments? 4.5
Hygiene Was clerk wearing gloves? A mask? Both? Neither? What were the pick up and and waiting areas like? Clean/neat? 5
Speed and accuracy Food was on counter ready for pickup 5
Portion size Was it filling or were you left wanting more? 5
Leftovers Were there leftovers and, if so, did they reheat well? 5
Quality of Food Freshness, quality of ingredients 5
Tastiness of Food Flavor, spice and texture 5
Customer Service Friendliness, responsiveness 5
Overall Rating With 5 being a perfect score, this restaurant rated: 5