Review: The Bagel Mill

Audrey Fry
The Bagel Mill in Petaluma freshens up classic sandwiches with quality, locally sourced ingredients and sourdough bagels made with in-house milled flour.

The Bagel Mill | 212 Western Ave, Petaluma | (707)-981-8010 | Most entrees under $10

4.5 of 5 Oak Leaves

Signature Dishes

Build Your Bagel Sandwich, California Egg & Cheese Sandwich, Bodega Egg & Cheese Sandwich, Latte

Review

If you’re looking to step up your bagel routine, try The Bagel Mill. This downtown Petaluma café offers sourdough bagels made with freshly milled whole-grain flour accompanied by high quality, locally sourced schmears, produce and coffee. 

Glenda Dougherty, owner of the Bagel Mill, grew up in Sebastopol, but after moving to the east coast for university “fell in love with real, boiled New York bagels.”

You can grab a toasted bagel with cream cheese, sandwiches for breakfast and lunch, a variety of sides like salads or cookies, and hot or cold coffee, espresso and teas. There are several options for vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free diets.

Sourdough bagels are made fresh daily and come in typical varieties like plain, whole wheat, everything, and poppy seed, along with specials such as marbled rye everything, jalapeño cheddar and salt. The bagels have a distinctive sourness that adds character to this simple breakfast staple. The sourdough flavor is noticeable but not overwhelming, and even mellows the sometimes bitter flavor of whole wheat bagels. The texture is perfectly springy and chewy on the inside with a nice skin on the outside that’s not too tough.

Spreads are made with Clover cream cheese while vegan options include cashew cream and almond butter. Try the cinnamon honey cream cheese on a toasted whole wheat bagel if you’re craving a cinnamon roll but want something a little lighter.

The popular California Egg and Cheese is a must-try breakfast sandwich: organic fried egg, Petaluma Creamery cheddar, Hobbs Bacon, avocado and tomato on a lightly toasted bagel of your choice. All the ingredients compliment each other perfectly. The saltiness of the somehow chewy-and-crunchy bacon and acidity of the tomato balance the creaminess of the gooey egg yolk, avocado and mildly sharp cheddar. Try this on a marbled rye bagel for some extra, but not overpowering, sourness and for a beautifully Instagrammable photo. This filling sandwich with its quality ingredients is well worth the $10.50 price tag.

The Bagel Mill’s zesty take on avocado toast is an open-faced bagel topped with smashed avocado, the “everything” mix that tops everything bagels, scallions, pickled red onion, sprouts and lemon vinaigrette. This dish is full of flavor and is a fun change of pace for avid avocado toast fans. That said, be prepared for those onion flavors to linger. Consider ordering a side with this option if you’re looking for something a little more filling.

As for beverages, San Francisco-based Ritual Coffee is brewed at The Bagel Mill and makes for an absolutely smooth and roasty hot drink or cold brew.

The Bagel Mill is definitely worth a trip across town once in-person classes resume at the Petaluma campus and you’re looking for a quality but not-too-expensive sandwich. Ordering online for pick-up is super easy and convenient. You’ll be getting a wholesome treat for yourself and supporting multiple local food producers.

The Breakdown

Category What were we looking for? Score out of 5
Packaging Neat? Sustainable? Did they remember cutlery? Napkins? Condiments? 5
Hygiene Was clerk wearing gloves? A mask? Both? Neither? What were the pick up and waiting areas like? Clean/neat? 5
Speed and accuracy Food was on counter ready for pickup 5
Portion size Was it filling or were you left wanting more? 4
Leftovers Were there leftovers and, if so, did they reheat well? 1
Quality of Food Freshness, quality of ingredients 5
Tastiness of Food Flavor, spice and texture 5
Customer Service Friendliness, responsiveness 4
Overall Rating With 5 being a perfect score, this restaurant rated: 4.5