Review: Mary’s Pizza Shack

Alex Fuller
Mary’s Pizza Shack is still taking orders over the phone and online for minimal contact pickup. Bay Area favorites like the creamy pesto tortellini and the mozzarella garlic bread can still be a part of your quarantine.

Mary’s Pizza Shack| 3085 Jefferson St., Napa; , plus 15 other locations across Marin, Sonoma and Napa Counties | (707) 257-3300 | Most entrees under $20

4.5 of 5 Oak Leaves

Signature Dishes

Spaghetti and meatballs, pesto tortellini, garlic bread and Mary’s signature salad.

Review

From the cheesy garlic bread to the creamy pesto tortellini, Mary’s Pizza Shack has all your favorite Italian comfort food at reasonable prices. 

While social distancing means you can’t sit and watch the cooks make your pizza from right behind the counter anymore, you can still get your fix through delivery and pick up. 

Mary’s Pizza Shack is still offering its full menu with options to order over the phone or on its website, but if you’re not looking to break the bank, avoid the pizza.

Order the family size of any of their pastas to either have a crazy amount of leftovers or affordably feed the whole family. Finish off your meal with a large chewy chocolate chip cookie fit for two or a fudgy brownie that you’ll want all to yourself.

Mary’s is also taking extra steps to ensure your safety while picking up your food. At the Napa location, signs promoting social distancing hang on every wall inside the designated pick up area. 

Masks are required when entering the restaurant and you’ll wait for your food on red tape marked spots 6 feet apart. A large, thick plastic sheet separates you from employees, who handle your food wearing masks and gloves.

Take advantage of one of their specials, like the Family Pasta Meal Deal, which includes a family-sized spaghetti with two meatballs and your choice of either a large Mary’s salad or a large Caesar salad for only $25.

Mary’s may not be able to currently provide the same cozy dine-in experience, but the food still has the same local charm.

The Breakdown

Category What were we looking for? Score out of 5
Packaging Neat? Sustainable? Did they remember cutlery? Napkins? Condiments? 5
Hygiene Was clerk wearing gloves? A mask? Both? Neither? What were the pick up and waiting areas like? Clean/neat? 4
Speed and accuracy Food was on counter ready for pickup 4
Portion size Was it filling or were you left wanting more? 5
Leftovers Were there leftovers and, if so, did they reheat well? 5
Quality of Food Freshness, quality of ingredients 4
Tastiness of Food Flavor, spice and texture 5
Customer Service Friendliness, responsiveness 5
Overall Rating With 5 being a perfect score, this restaurant rated: 4.5