Confederate flag: One nation under racism

Without a doubt we take the American flag very seriously. There’s a reason why there are  rules to guide the display and care of the flag. It’s not because it is a piece of cloth, but rather the values and beliefs it represents.

Lately, some young people find it trendy to wear or possess the Confederate flag as an expression of their “true country” American roots. For anyone who fully supports freedom of speech and expression, there is nothing wrong with youth expressing themselves in this way. However, for anyone who understands what the Confederate flag represents, this trend is simply insulting.

The Confederate flag was created to represent the Southern states, which declared their secession from the United States that led to the American Civil War. One of the main reasons why the Southern states sought to secede from the U.S. was the issue of slavery, thus instigating the war and creating the Union and Confederacy.

To say that the Confederate flag is not affiliated with racism is ignorance at best. What is truly frustrating about these people who proudly have the Confederate flag on their clothes and trucks while displaying the American flag right next to it —contradicting the entire idea of the Confederacy — is their excuse of their Southern pride,  which most are not even from or associated with the region whatsoever.

The Confederate flag does not simply represent the South. It represents a time when the South no longer wanted to be part of this nation because it did not support the abolishment of slavery. It represents a time when people were viewed as a commodity. It also represents a time when some Americans  did not have the same basic human rights and equality as other Americans due to the color of their skin. It is a time in American history about which every single American should be ashamed. To not only support this flag and the views it represents, but also proudly wear it in everyday apparel, is something beyond personal understanding.

If any individuals are going to express themselves, at least fully know the beliefs and ideas one is representing. And for the sake of Black History Month, acknowledge that wearing the Confederate flag is viewed as disrespectful and offensive to anyone who values and understands the true meaning of liberty and justice for all spoken when pledging to the American flag.

Catherine Ramirez, Multimedia Editor

• J

John ThomasApr 15, 2015 at 11:29 am

Catherine,

So I agree that a primary reason that the south seceded was because of the contrasting beliefs about slavery between them and the north. This was not, however the only reason for the south creating their own nation. Other reasons included the election of President Lincoln in 1960 and the idea of state’s rights. Though if you use your same logic, you could say that the original colonial flag represented heresy and slavery. Or that the flag of the 1960’s represented oppression of minorities. Just food for thought.

John

• B

Billy BeardenFeb 26, 2015 at 11:42 am

Dear Miss Catherine,
    Bless your heart! Quite an opinion you have put on the internet!
    As a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, I would like to ask first off, what “Confederate Flag” do you refer to? One of the 3 National Flags, or one of the over 180 different Battle Flags? If you refer to a National Flag, then only the last 2 were created by the Confederate Government (Stainless Banner, Blood Stained Banner)
    The Battle flags were the creation of Soldiers, to use by soldiers, to represent soldiers.

You really need to ask yourself the following questions:
    “From 1784 – 1865, The United States Flag represents a time when the United States no longer wanted to be part of England because it did not support the abolishment of slavery nor Taxation without Representation. It represents a time when people were viewed as a commodity. It also represents a time when some Americans did not have the same basic human rights and equality as other Americans due to the color of their skin. It is a time in American history under the United States Flag about which every single American should be ashamed.

Slavery is your beef. Slavery in America lasted from 1621 – 1865. And you only single out a 4 year period and attempt to use as a scapegoat a flag of which you know nothing about.
    Your teachers must be so proud!

God Bless you Ma’am