What Will Netflix and Amazon do Next?

Media streaming giants Netflix and Amazon seem to have limitless potential. These two powerhouses, established, are their own media-generating content creators. I never thought Netflix would be anything more than a hub for major film companies to reach more viewers.

Companies evolve and change. Netflix has done that with their original series shows that started to roll out last year.  The groundbreaking series “House of Cards” and “Lilyhammer” are relatively successful for a company that mostly streams other companies content.

All this new content Netflix unveiled has thrown a new hat into the ring and challenging the cables domination. With new executively produced series like “Hemlock Grove” starting all time and the rebirth of “Arrested Development,” Netflix should again more viewers.

One of the things that Netflix does really well is marketing and getting new subscribers.  The new content is making some of the bigger media giants like HBO and other cable conglomerates take notice.

There’s not a lot of things out there that have monthly fee less than $8, versus upwards of $100 a month for cable, most of which goes to premium channels like HBO and Showtime.

It’s now a lot easier to access Netflix with a multitude of formats including direct web streaming and gaming console streaming through applications. This is why a lot of people are ditching cable and switching over to Netflix as the alternative.

There’s going to be a point where HBO or others will hold out from signing deals with Netflix because they don’t like how the company handles their media rights deals.

Netflix’s successfully established streaming service has made other film and online corporations start their own direct streaming services, like Amazon. Amazon Instant Video is a relatively new competitor in web streaming. Amazon has always made good decisions when it comes their web-based online stores.  It was a good decision for the company to start a streaming service, because a lot of people already use Amazon for shopping purposes.

The streaming service allowed them to start down the road Netflix is already on, generating their own original pilots like “The Onion Network” and “Zombieland the Series.” With Amazon starting to make their own content it’s possible that they could become an even bigger power.

The bottom line is that cable and satellite need to step up and start their own streaming content, which some have already done in limited capacity like ABC, CBS and HBO.

Warner Bros. recently announced the end of their partnership with Netflix to start their own streaming service, not including HBO, which will continue under its name.

Eventually there will be a drastic drop in the number of people that watch cable, which has already seen a steady decline in viewership.  Eventually all companies will need some form of streaming capability, whether its an application or streaming site.

But who knows? Netflix and Amazon only need to make one major mistake and they will be a thing of the past. Someone else will fill those voids with even better content and more choices-that’s why the future is bright and ripe with possibility.