Laws Limit Women’s Choices

Having a child is probably the last thing I see myself doing in the near future. I plan to be the first person in my family to graduate from college. I plan to travel the world and explore who I am as a person. While I know these things could be achieved as a mother, I also know how hard it is to have a child at a young age.

My mother gave birth to me at 19 and I’ve seen first hand how motherhood changes lives.

I can’t help but wonder what I would do if I became pregnant. Would I know early enough to take an emergency contraceptive or decide to abort the human growing inside me? Would I let the embryo grow into a person with a name and place in this world? If so, would I take the responsibility of raising this child or hand the baby over to an agency to decide who gets the kid?

North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple signed a law prohibiting the abortion of an unborn child after 20 weeks, arguing that the fetus can feel pain at that time. Dalrymple also signed a law prohibiting the abortion of an unborn child once a heartbeat is detectable – around six weeks. These laws are the strictest in the country, challenging the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling that gives women the right to an abortion.

Roe v. Wade was a monumental step towards expanding women’s rights, but the new laws passed in North Dakota drag down the efforts of pro-choice activists.

Those supporting the laws restricting abortion argue that an embryo should have some defense to keep it safe, but women wishing to have an abortion should be defended as well.

Before Roe v. Wade, women wishing to rid themselves of pregnancy could perform self-induced abortions that caused physical harm and even death in some cases. Some women attempting to rid themselves of a pregnancy fell on objects to cause harm to their abdomen, consumed hazardous materials or used coat hangers to attempt an abortion.

These women put their lives in danger to maintain control of their bodies. The physical and mental abuse they forced themselves through is sickening and unimaginable.

Forty years after Roe v. Wade, I would hope women have plenty of options and support readily available when it comes to their reproductive choices. But the abortion laws being passed leave women today with fewer choices.

I can’t say what route I would take if I became pregnant, but I do know I want every woman, regardless of the choice she makes, to have the ability to make that choice.