SGA approves funds for SSCCC General Assembly, CubCard Premium promotional video, discusses upcoming events

Courtesy of SRJC
Students for Recovery club member, Dan Lionett, emphasized the importance of having access to Narcan at SRJC’s SGA March 11 meeting.

Santa Rosa Junior College’s Student Government Assembly members approved funding for a CubCard Premium promotional video and highlighted activities happening on both Santa Rosa and Petaluma campuses at their Feb. 5 meeting.

SGA APPROVES FUNDS FOR SSCCC GENERAL ASSEMBLY

SGA members appointed eight members who will attend a Student Senate for California Community Colleges conference April 4-7 in Santa Clara to share their experiences and key takeaways at the conference.

SGA approved $9,000 for this event.

UPCOMING CUBCARD PREMIUM PROMOTIONAL VIDEO

SRJC students have the option to purchase a CubCard, a discount program that offers students deals, from discounts at local businesses to free admission for home games.

Anthony Spinozzi, vice president of finance, will partner with DKD Productions for a promotional video that will go to area businesses and showcase the benefits of becoming a CubCard Premium member.

“The goal for the video is to shed light on the good features and teach the benefits of CubCard Premium,” Spinozzi said.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND DATES COMING UP FOR SANTA ROSA AND PETALUMA CAMPUS

February is Black History Month, and the Black Student Union will host several events. Shanty Bengo, vice president of student life, highlighted Culture Night, an event with food, games and information on the history of Black culture. Culture Night will take place at 4-7 p.m. Feb. 28 at the Sawubona Black Student Center.

MEChA de SRJC will host a conference that will highlight the importance of mental health and other topics on Friday, Feb. 23 at 1501 Mendocino Ave. The organizers have invited students from several local high schools to participate in workshops.

Student body president D’Juan Brundidge, who is also a part of Black Student Union, is working on a charity basketball event. The charity is still undecided. This event will occur from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on May 3.

Alonso Rodriguez, vice president of clubs in Petaluma, announced that students can partake in free rock painting from 2-4 p.m every Wednesday at the Student Success and Engagement building on the Petaluma campus. His goal is to try and host an event every Wednesday on the Petaluma campus. This past week they served breakfast in the morning.

DON’T BE AFRAID TO REACH OUT TO STUDENT HEALTH SERVICES

Student health vice president Mark Shen wants students to be aware they can always go to Health Services.

“Health services provide Narcan and fentanyl strips and every student has access to them,” Shen said.

NEXT CLUB DAY DATES

The next Club Day, themed “I Heart Clubs,” will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Feb. 14 at the Bertolini Quad.

“We are projecting to have club days once a month,” said Andrew Simmalaychanh, Vice President of Clubs, Santa Rosa.

Samantha Carter
Samantha Carter, Reporter
Samantha Carter(she/her) is in her second semester at Santa Rosa Junior College and a vibrant part of The Oak Leaf. She is majoring in communications and her plan is to transfer to a 4-year Fall 2025. Her end goal would be news anchoring or reporting. She loves to learn and try new things. She is interested in news, fashion, adventure, music and nature.

• R

Renee StaplesMar 13, 2024 at 5:46 am

Thanks so much for such an informative article. Much needed information.