SRJC to celebrate Indigenous Peoples’ Day

All+are+welcome+to+attend+Indigenous+Peoples%E2%80%99+Day+from+11+a.m.+to+3+p.m.+Oct.+9.+at+the+Burbank+outdoor+stage+area.+
All are welcome to attend Indigenous Peoples’ Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 9. at the Burbank outdoor stage area.

Santa Rosa Junior College will celebrate Indigenous Peoples’ Day with Native speakers, vendors, food, drumming and dancing from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 9. at the Burbank outdoor stage area.

Indigenous Peoples’ Day was formally recognized at SRJC in 2016. “This is a day for us to honor Indigenous sovereignty, resilience and the immense contributions that Native Americans have made throughout the world,” said Dr. Brenda Flyswithhawks, SRJC behavioral sciences instructor and event coordinator. 

Four SRJC Indigenous student leaders, Cruz Martinez, Dolores Duncan, Rose Hammock and Luna Hernandez Ramirez, will tell their stories about the resolution they created in 2016 that led the Board of Trustees to adopt Indigenous Peoples’ Day.

Lorelle Ross, vice chair of Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria in Rohnert Park and Marge Grow-Eppard, president of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and People California, will also speak. 

Attendees can enjoy arts, crafts and Indigenous food and obtain information about programs and opportunities. The event is free and open to all students.

Josh DeLawrence
Josh DeLawrence, Photographer
Joshua DeLawrence has completed his photography certificate and all his residency units for his Journalism major at SRJC. He is now working towards an A/ST in Journalism and an A/S for Digital Journalism. This is his first semester at the Oak Leaf.

• M

MelissaOct 9, 2023 at 6:26 am

Is this also open to children and community members?