First-gen, low-income college student identity: The power, pride and promise with Chris Sinclair

Chris+Sinclair%2C+Founder+and+Executive+Director+of+FLIP+National+will+host+a+conversation+on+the+experiences+of+first-generation+and+low-income+students+at+Santa+Rosa+Junior+College+at+3-4+p.m.+Oct.+17+in+Emeritus+Hall.++
Courtesy of SRJC
Chris Sinclair, Founder and Executive Director of FLIP National will host a conversation on the experiences of first-generation and low-income students at Santa Rosa Junior College at 3-4 p.m. Oct. 17 in Emeritus Hall.

Chris Sinclair, founder and Executive Director of FLIP National, will discuss the challenges of being a first-generation and low-income student from 3-4 p.m. Oct. 17 in Newman Auditorium. 

Sinclair will discuss the harsh realities first-generation and low-income (FGLI) students experience, such as impostor syndrome, survivor’s guilt and insecurity on basic needs. He will also share his own stories of success and describe why FGLI advocacy is a key part of diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility initiatives. 

First-generation students are typically those whose parents have not obtained a bachelor’s degree. Oftentimes, first-gen students carry stress and pressure from heightened family expectations. FLIP National believes in the promotion of equal opportunity for first-generation and low-income students in institutions of higher learning. 

After the presentation, Sinclair will host a 30-minute discussion panel with FGLI students from Santa Rosa Junior College and Sonoma State University. Panelists will discuss three questions: “What was a challenge for you as a FGLI student? What is something you wish your professor knew about your FGLI experience? What about your first-gen or low-income identity gives you a sense of power or pride?”

The conversation with Sinclair is part of the Fall 2022 Arts & Lecture series. All SRJC Arts and Lectures events are open to the public and free. Sinclair will simulcast his talk at the Petaluma campus Student Engagement and Success Center in Mike Smith Hall, Building 500 room 114. Parking permits are $4 per day for both campuses. 

Students can also join the Zoom webinar, http://santarosa-edu.zoom.us/j/96449724893, with ID #964 4972 4893.