SGA appoints new members, discuss student health center at Oct 10 meeting

SGA elected three members into the Auxiliary Enterprises Committee, which helps provide services for students on campus, and one member to Committee of Institutional Technology, which oversees the purchasing and distribution of technology on campus.

Student Government Assembly discussed the interim dean of students’ performance, the student health center, the future of online meetings and upcoming events at its Oct. 10 meeting. 

Melissa Ramirez, Waad Defalla and Mattie Cottrell were appointed to the committee for auxiliary enterprises, which seeks out services for students living for onsite housing, including bookstore and food services.

SGA also appointed Ramirez to the Committee of Arts and Lectures, which coordinates cultural events for the campus, and Leticia Camarena to the Committee of Institutional Technology, which oversees the reviewing, purchasing and distribution of technology on campus.

Vice President of Student Health Waad Defalla spoke to SGA about the health services SRJC offers. Students have access to doctors or nurses for any illnesses related to skin infections, dizziness or eye pain. Immunizations, including Covid-19 and Monkeypox vaccines, are available at the health center. The student health center is on the third floor of Bertolini Hall and is open Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

SGA discussed Byron Reeves’s performance as interim dean of students who oversees the cultural center, government clubs, bookstores and student life. 

Reeves said by working with SGA, they can make positive changes in student environments, student engagement and changes in policies. 

“I always want to be transforming, I always want to be in creative mode, always want to be in an innovative mode,” Reeves said. “I always want to be restructured and re-look at what we’re doing and how we can be effective in that.” 

SGA voted to continue holding meetings via Zoom to make meetings more accessible to students. SGA coordinator Zach Miranda said the pandemic may be behind us but COVID-19 is not, and events are still being canceled due to COVID exposure.

The Flip Club will host a Blast to the Past costume masquerade ball fundraiser on Oct. 27 from noon to 4 p.m. There will be a live band, food and a dessert bar.