SGA approves funding to attend leadership conference, discusses on-campus housing

Three+SGA+members+and+an+advisor+will+attend+the+CCCSAA%2C+a+conference+to+enhance+student+leadership+skills%2C+Oct.+21-22+in+San+Diego.+
Courtesy Student Government Assembly
Three SGA members and an advisor will attend the CCCSAA, a conference to enhance student leadership skills, Oct. 21-22 in San Diego.

Santa Rosa Junior College Student Government Assembly budgeted for an upcoming leadership conference and discussed goals regarding on-campus student housing at its Oct. 3 meeting.

SGA approved spending roughly $8,000 to attend the California Community College Student Affairs Association’s Student Leadership Conference, an Oct. 21-22 event in San Diego providing a variety of workshops and activities to promote student leadership, advocacy and professional skills. Members unanimously selected three SGA members and one advisor to attend: Executive Vice President of Legislation Matti Cottrell, Vice President of Clubs for Petaluma Campus D’Juan Brundidge, Vice President of Marketing for Petaluma Campus Mahkaila Gans; and Zach Miranda as the group’s advisor.

SGA representatives intend to apply their training in future meetings to benefit the SRJC student body.

“Training you about all the things that government does could really help transform the culture and move big initiatives forward,” said Genevieve Bertone, director of student equity and persistence.

The money will be allocated from the SGA Retreats, Conferences and Travel budget. The account currently has $14,500 and the trip is estimated to cost $8,000 for travel, food, attendance and other factors.

Housing

SGA discussed the benefits of new on-campus housing with Marketing Strategist Christine Walker.

“We feel like we understand the community really well,” Walker said. “We want to tell a story that represents SRJC.”

SGA members said on-campus housing allows residents to engage more with the school and community by taking more classes and participating in campus events, which would also benefit their GPA. Members said students would also gain independence and learn how to manage resources while living in a safe environment.

“It definitely encourages creating a foundation for a student,” said Melissa Ramirez, vice president of student life. “It’s so important to learn how to balance life in many different aspects.”

The dormitory will house 352 students, with priority given to students with disabilities, economically challenging backgrounds or lack of family support.

“People who need it most are who’s gonna be thought of first,” said Delashay Carmona-Benson, student trustee and member of the housing committee.

On-campus housing for students is planned to open August 2023. More information can be found at https://housing.santarosa.edu.

Other

SGA discussed its budget and fundraising, particularly after challenges posed by COVID-19. The group hopes to engage the student body while continuing to support student life and leadership