SRJC clubs meet hoping to recruit new members

Sam Guzman
Many graduates of the Police Cadet Program go on to be police, probation and correctional officers. They train cadets to be fully ready for the workforce.

If you missed Club Day but are interested in getting involved on campus or meeting people with similar interests, here’s an overview of the clubs that gathered at Bertolini quad to advertise for membership.

Computer Science Club

The Computer Science Club welcomes people of all skill levels and interests and hopes to expand their love and knowledge of computer science. One of their overarching goals is to open job opportunities in the field. 

The club focuses on personalizing each member’s experience. Members organize projects such as hackathons, when teams work together to design and create apps. The club also focuses on web development and cyber security.

Club representative Minh Nguyen said anyone can join to the level they feel comfortable; being a member doesn’t mean participation in events is mandatory. The Computer Science Club meets 5:30-6:30 p.m. Fridays on Zoom.

Forensics, Speech, Debate and Performance Team

Josh Hamzehee describes his club as “a sport for nerds, artists and advocates.” It’s an opportunity for students to travel as a team and develop their communication skills through various speech and debate competitions. 

Hamzehee emphasized students’ opportunity to advocate for issues they care about. 

“Not only are we performing, but we’re also writing about why it matters,” Hamhezee said. “We’re putting out an argument.”

The club meets in Garcia Hall Mondays at 3 p.m.

Homelessness and Housing Security Club

Ludmila Bade founded the Homelessness and Housing Security Club to improve conditions for people suffering from the ongoing housing crisis. 

Bade, said roughly 19% of community college students are homeless and 60% are considered housing insecure, meaning they perpetually have inconsistent or unpredictable access to shelter. She hopes to decrease these statistics by improving housing conditions and finding solutions that target the root of the problem. Within the club, she intends to change general perceptions of homelessness in the community. 

“I would like a solution to homelessness to be community inclusion not exclusion,” Bade said.

Bade is looking for students with a variety of skill sets to share their perspectives and ideas. The club meets over Zoom Wednesdays at 6:45 p.m.

International Club

The International Club has the goal of learning an assortment of cultures and making foreign students feel at home through organized gatherings, trips and events geared toward establishing a sense of community. 

“We want to have a family and create friendships,” Micaela Baquero said. “The goal is to have the whole world in one room.”

The International Club meets in Plover Hall every other Friday at noon, in addition to other scheduled events. 

Inter-Tribal Club

The Inter-Tribal club unites native and non-native students to preserve Indigineous culture and support its people.

“We want to bridge local Indigenous tribes with SRJC communities,” Club Treasurer Savannah Quihuis said. 

The group partnering with local programs that focus on adverse childhood experiences and their role in the physical and mental health of Indigenous peoples. Students interested can contact [email protected]

Intervarsity Christian Fellowship Club

The Intervarsity Christian Fellowship Club seeks to “help students encounter God and grow in faith” through Bible study while building leadership and character skills. 

“I want to see students become world-changers,” advocate Jenny Kouse said while referencing her long-term goals for the club. “I think everyone has something to offer.” 

The club meets Wednesdays 10:45-11:45 a.m.

MEChA de SRJC

SRJC’s MEChA group seeks equity on the SRJC campus and challenges administration to change policies that disrupt equity. Raphael Vasquez Guzman said all students who want to help their cause will be welcomed. 

MEChA has locations in high schools and middle schools and is hoping to find footing in elementary schools. Meetings take place from 5:30- 6:30 p.m. Mondays both on Zoom and at the multicultural center.

Queer Action Alliance 

The Queer Action Allience club wants to bring a safe environment to marginalized groups on campus. They help queer and non-conforming gendered students share their struggles and experiences and to offer guidance for campus life.

The club also wants to tackle issues targeting these demographics, such as all gendered bathrooms on campus.

The club meets from noon to 1 p.m. on Mondays in the Student Activities Center. 

Second Chance Club

Jason Laqua and Jason Dorfer organized the Second Chance Club to create a safe space for formerly incarcerated SRJC students. The club acts as a support group to make sure members feel welcome and find a home on campus and to provide formerly incarcerated students with a fair path for a complete education. 

“Everybody makes mistakes. They shouldn’t let it weigh them down. They shouldn’t be judged by their past,” Laqua said. 

The Second Chance club meets from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays on Zoom. 

SRJC Cheer Club

SRJC Cheerleaders attend football, hockey and basketball games, building camaraderie and skill while promoting school spirit. 

“We want to grow as a team and see everyone’s personal goals come true,” said member Sophia Newcomer. 

The club holds clinics and practices from 6:30-9:30 p.m. The team anticipates holding tryouts in late October.

SRJC Ice Hockey

SRJC’s Hockey Club continues to play regularly at Snoopy’s Home Ice, with games starting in the next two weeks. The team hopes to continue moving up leagues and restore previous successes and winning streaks. 

“We want people to know we’re here,” player Jonah Petrus said, “and to see more people at games.”

The first game of the season takes place Sept. 30 at Snoopy’s Home Ice.

SRJC Nutrition Club

The SRJC Nutrition Club seeks to inform the community regarding nutrition and food accessibility. It focuses on curating informative content for students and exploring different diets and ingredients. Members  work at Santa Rosa Farmers markets, to demonstrate recipes made with local products. 

Finding affordable options is another major focal point for the club.  

“We’re trying to educate people that nutrition can come from anything and everything,” President Danica Speedo said. “Not everything has to be organic.”

Meetings take place over Zoom; students interested can email [email protected] for login details. 

Police Cadet Program

The Police Cadet Program hopes to recruit members for a new paid internship offering hands-on experience.

The program accepts all students, regardless of their major or whether they study full- or part- time. 

Officer Monica Chavez said cadets can look forward to ride alongs, agency tours and  community service opportunities that all qualify for college credit. Accepted interns must work a minimum of eight hours a week and attend a cadet class every Friday morning. The District Police Department building can be found on 2032 Armory Dr.