Gallery: Old Fire burns 570 acres in Napa, within Atlas Fire burn scar

A vegetation fire ignited Tuesday afternoon off Old Soda Springs Road in Napa and within five hours had grown to 570 acres with 5% contained, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CalFire).

Napa Valley residents could see its thick grayish-white plume from across the valley on the west side of Dry Creek Road and as far as 11 miles south at Foster Road. CalFire scrambled multiple aircraft to drop retardant on the blaze.

Evacuation orders from Napa County Office of Emergency Services are still in effect for 1300 Soda Canyon Road to the dead end. An evacuation center is available at Crosswalk Community Church, 2590 First Street, Napa.

As of 9 p.m. forward progress had diminished and crews would monitor the situation overnight, according to CalFire Incident Command.

The Old Fire ignited and burned within 2017’s Atlas Fire burn scar. The Atlas Fire was one of four main fires—along with the Tubbs, Nuns and Cherokee—that formed the 2017 Wine Country Fires, the second most destructive fires in California’s recorded history.

Reporting by Lauren A. Spates.