SRJC Sawubona Black Support Center presents “Black Yoga Series” for Black History Month

Courtesy Bearfacts
Santa Rosa Junior College Sawubona Black Support Center hopes students can find a holistic way to improve their mental and physical health with their Black Yoga Series with instructor Lindsey Cacy.

Learn to tap into your inner strength with the “Black Yoga Series” presented by Santa Rosa Junior College Sawubona Black Student Support Center to celebrate Black History Month this Feb. 21 and 28. 

The series is conducted by SRJC admissions specialist Lindsey Cacy, who is a 200-hour certified yoga instructor and teaches yoga at multiple locations in Sonoma county. She is also the author of “Choose to Become: A Guide To Cultivating Self-Awareness and Healing So You Can Become the Best Version of You.”

Cacy said in her LinkedIn profile, “In my work as a yoga instructor and transformational coach, I am able to help my students and clients find deeper purpose in their lives while living it with more ease and self-awareness.”   

The yoga series is part of the “Roses Growing From Concrete: Black History Through A Legacy Of Resiliency” series to celebrate SRJC Black History Month. 

Regina Mahiri, coordinator of the Black Student Support Center and student life, equity and engagement, said the series uses traditional yoga taught by a Black instructor.  

“Yoga is not something you often find practiced within the Black community. We chose a Black instructor to help introduce Black students to it in a way that is comfortable to them,” Mahiri said. 

She thinks the series can help students learn a holistic way to improve their mental and physical health. All students are welcome, but Mahiri thinks Black students may benefit the most by having a Black instructor who is aware of their needs. 

“Lyndsey may identify some of the micro and even macro aggressions that Black students face and is able to speak to those during her sessions,” she said. 

Mahiri hopes to establish a weekly series with Cacey for the remainder of the semester. 

The next two sessions are 5:30-6:30 p.m. Feb. 21 and 28. Reserve a spot at bss.santarosa.edu. Spots are limited and the first 50 students to register will receive a free Yoga mat. For questions contact Regina Mahiri at 707-527-4519 or [email protected]

Michael Combs
Michael Combs, Editor
Michael Combs (he/him) is in his fifth semester writing for The Oak Leaf, and his second as co-Editor-In-Chief. He began taking natural resources management classes at Santa Rosa Junior College to pursue his love of nature and the environment but has shifted toward journalism so he can share those passions with the world. Besides the environment, Michael also likes to write about politics, social justice and mental health. He has a bachelor’s of science in neuroscience and mammalian physiology from the University of California, San Diego, and hopes to get back to his roots with more science journalism as well. In his off time Michael likes to read, write and hike as often as possible in beautiful Sonoma County and beyond.

• M

Mateo PruskyFeb 15, 2022 at 5:09 pm

Glad to see we’re still focusing on “microaggressions” instead of actual problems.