PEERS Coalition and “You Are Not Alone”: The troubles of distance learning and mental health

Courtesy Stephen Howe
Students attend SRJC PEERS Coalition’s “You are Not Alone: Reflecting Together on Well-Being During Distance Learning.”

The Santa Rosa Junior College PEERS Coalition hosted an event Nov. 17 that discussed the mental health pros and cons of remote learning.

The Zoom session, titled “You are Not Alone: Reflecting Together on Well-Being During Distance Learning,”  talked about strengths students discovered as a result of pandemic-induced distance learning. 

Panelist Felix Santiago said that with online classes, they learned to raise their hand to speak up more. “A strength of mine is being able to make a statement now that I am able to raise my hand,” they said.

Liya Levanda presented a slideshow detailing common pandemic struggles and their remedies  and then used Google Jamboard to brainstorm actions SRJC could take to support students, including installing fully operational mics and cameras in classrooms with paid tech support and additional hybrid learning options.

The PEERS Coalition is a Student Health Services program that uses the voices of students to increase and destigmatize the conversation surrounding mental health.

“A lot of what we do is around reducing stigma and sharing resources, whether it’s with mental health or online learning. We also wanted to create a sense of community, like we’re all in this together,” PEERS Coalition Supervisor Jeane Erlenborne said.

Well-Being Wednesday is 5-6 p.m. every first and third Wednesday on Zoom. Student Health Services also provides free therapy to all students and can be reached at 707-527-4445. Follow the PEERS Coalition and stay up to date with their events on Instagram at @srjcpeers. 

Stephen Howe
Stephen Howe, A&E Editor, Reporter
Stephen Howe is an A&E reporter in his sixth semester at The Oak Leaf. He is working towards a digital journalism certificate, and he enjoys movies and video games.

• C

Christopher GonzalezDec 14, 2021 at 12:30 am

That slideshow of pandemic struggles and remedies sounds like a great, thoughtful idea and a valuable resource for folks who have been going through hard times since March 2020! Is it available for public viewing online?