SGA promotes upcoming events, announces vacancy

Courtesy SRJC
Student Body President Delashay Carmona Benson announced the date of the winter semi-formal and encouraged students to atttend upcoming events at Monday’s Zoom meeting.

Santa Rosa Junior College’s student body president encouraged attendance at two upcoming student events and the Student Government Assembly’s vice president of finance stepped down at Monday’s SGA meeting.

Student Body President Delashay Carmona Benson encouraged students, staff and faculty to attend the “Is SRJC Ready for Me?” virtual panel Dec. 6 from 5-7 p.m. on Zoom. The panel will consist of 15 student representatives from various groups on campus, including the Black Student Union, the Queer Resource Center and the Second Chance Club. 

According to Benson, the students will discuss improvements SRJC can implement to make the college more student-ready. 

“Let’s make this an all inclusive campus for everyone, where everyone fits in and feels at home,” Benson said. “I think it’s probably one of the most important events that we have had, hands down because it’s not even so much for us, but for all the students after us.”

Benson also announced the student life committee approved the “Winter Soulstice” semi-formal dance for Dec. 16 from 6:30-9 p.m., in-person on the Petaluma campus.

“It takes a lot to put these events together, so I want to make sure that everybody is picking out their outfits, their shoes and ready to roll,” Benson said.

Student Government Programs Coordinator Zack Miranda announced that Moses Legesse vacated the vice president of finance position and that SGA will appoint another student going forward.

Any student enrolled in 5 units with at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA can put themself forward for the position. Contact Zack Miranda for more information.

Health PEER and student assembly member of LGBTQIA2S+ Matti Cottrell invited students to attend this week’s “Well-Being Wednesday” from 5-6 p.m. on Zoom, which will focus on communication and authentic listening skills.

See the latest SRJC BearFacts eNewsletter for more upcoming events.