Mondays with Mary: How SRJC is taking care of students’ mental and physical health during remote learning

Courtesy SRJC
SRJC student health services provide free medical assistance, both physical and mental, to SRJC students.

“Enrollment fee, $920.” Expensive, but seems important. “Parking fee, $60.” Overpriced, but I need to park. “Textbooks and materials, $400.” Ridiculous, but necessary to pass the class. “Health fee, $21.” Health fee? What’s a health fee, and why is it on my bill for the semester?

Turns out, the $21 health fee allows Santa Rosa Junior College to offer Plan B, inhalers, over-the-counter meds, coronavirus information and pretty much anything that a doctor from a place like Kaiser would offer for their patient. Because of that $21 health fee, any enrolled student can access student health services whenever necessary.

“There really never is a typical appointment,” SRJC Nurse Practitioner Mary Wyman said. “We cover every medical issue a student has and if it exceeds our capabilities, then we refer the student to someone who can take care of them.”

As COVID-19 restrictions loosen, in person appointments are now available to SRJC students on Mondays from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Appointments are still available via Zoom Mondays through Thursdays 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. You can also call for after-hour appointments.

“It’s important to have these services because during these times, student health services offer an immense amount of information and help students schedule COVID-19 testing,” said Jeanne Erlenborn, a health promotion specialist with the SRJC. “They also offer what to do when you are developing symptoms, and what to do when you do test positive for COVID-19.”

Student health services offer a mental health drop-in hour Mondays through Thursdays at 2:00 p.m. and Fridays at 11 a.m.

“A program called PEERS holds workshops, events and has a ton to offer through their CampusWell website, which has a ton of great information and help for all JC students with or without mental health issues,” Erlenborn said. “We also offer anonymous mental health screenings as well as one-on-one appointments via Zoom or in person.”

Julian Watkins, an SRJC student said, “I personally know friends that are taking full advantage of the services that are offered to the JC students and they said the clinic was just like going to a private doctor but even better because it’s free.”

These mental health appointments are offered through the SRJC student health services PEERS coalition. To contact student health services to book an appointment, either call them at (707) 527-4445 or email them at [email protected].