SGA debates letter supporting racial minorities, announces upcoming events

The Santa Rosa Junior College Student Government Assembly logo.
Courtesy SRJC
SGA announced election results and proposed unity walk to bring the SRJC community together at the end of a challenging school year at Monday’s meeting.

Santa Rosa Junior College’s Student Government Association discussed how to support racial minorities, announced a new mental health service and rejected a proposed change to SGA bylaws.

Sitting members debated how best to support racial minorities in light of recent attacks targeting the Asian American and Pacific Islander community and ongoing injustices experienced by minorities.

Some members wanted to write a letter acknowledging the adversity faced by all minority groups, not just Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

Student Body President Delashay Carmona Benson, who drafted the letter and is also co-president of the Black Student Union, recalled that BSU and other minority groups on campus never received a letter of support from the SGA or SRJC leaders when their communities experienced violence.

“I don’t think that anyone’s struggle is any better than the rest,” Benson said.

“Although this is in the forefront about the Asian community, and we’re totally in solidarity with that, I’m not taking away from that. But, isn’t only acknowledging them taking away from everyone else?”

Others thought a letter addressed specifically to Asian American and Pacific Islander students was appropriate given recent extreme violence towards this group.

“I think that kind of mentality is creating more inner conflict,” said Vice President of Finance Evelyn Navarro Shindels in response to Benson.

Members will vote on how to move forward with this letter at next week’s meeting at 3:00 p.m. April 12 on Zoom.

Students seeking mental health support can now make in-person therapy appointments, said Vice President of Student Health Maria Arreguin. This update follows the recent addition of “Mondays with Mary” in-person physical appointments. Call (707) 527-4445 or email Student Health Services to make a mental or physical health appointment.

Online voting for 2021-2022 SGA candidates runs April 12-16 in the student portal. A brochure introducing the candidates is currently available. Candidates will also record short introductory videos that will be posted to the Student Elections website soon, following the Virtual Election Assemblies at noon April 6 and 7.

Clubs are active at SRJC and hosting the following April events:

• Queer Resource Corner presents four Tuesday events for Abolitionist April. For more information, contact Vice President of Diversity Felix Santiago.
  • SRJC’s Black Student Union will be hosting Black Panther activists at 5:30 p.m. April 27, including the writer and director of “Misfits,” Ciani Rey Walker. Zoom ID: 986 306 352 14.
  • Want help marketing your club? Contact Santa Rosa Vice President of Marketing Abrea Tillman.

SGA rejected a proposed amendment that would have required officers to swear an oath of office to the constitutions of the United States and California, request pocket constitutions from student groups and spend a portion of their summer and winter retreats studying the constitution.

While some members expressed interest in learning more about protecting students’ rights, the overall sentiment was that this amendment was not the best way to achieve that goal.