Summer Rep Theater Postponed

Courtesy SRT.
SRJC’s Summer Repertory Theater program is postponed until 2021.

The Santa Rosa Junior College Summer Repertory Theater Festival is one of the many programs affected by the pandemic, and although we won’t be getting to see any plays this summer, SRT is not gone for good. It has been postponed to next year. That way, students who were cast for roles can still keep them for when programs return to normal

Summer Repertory Theater Festival was founded in 1972 by “Uncle Frank” Zwolinski. Over the decades, SRT grew from a small theater program that produced two shows each summer into a professional career-starting company. Known alumni include Benjamin Bratt of “Law and Order” and Thomas Schumacher, president of Disney Theatrical Group.

“We’re built to withstand an impact like this,” said James Newman, SRT artistic director. The SRT is in a unique situation in that ticket revenue is put towards scholarships, so the loss of ticket revenue won’t have as much impact on production as it would with other theater companies.

Plays that were planned are “Dirty Blonde” and “Same Time Next Year,” Planned musicals the SRT was going to perform are “Hunchback of Notre Dame,” “She Loves Me” and “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.”

One unfortunate drawback is that there will be a heavy loss of experience for the 100 students in the Summer Rep Theater Festival, experience that can’t be replicated online, Newman said.

James Newman doesn’t believe that the coronavirus will impede SRT’s momentum “Audiences are very loyal,” Newman said, “People will really hunger for face to face experiences when we get back.”
There is an ongoing process to decide which classes can be held remotely, and which can be held online.