SRJC receives $3 million from CARES Act for students in need

Courtesy ABC
SRJC will receive $3 million in federal aid from the CARES Act. The money will be distributed to eligible students after they fill out the form that can be found at https://financialaid.santarosa.edu/srjc-student-emergency-grant.

As a result of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the federal government awarded Santa Rosa Junior College $3 million in emergency aid for students in need, SRJC President Dr. Frank Chong announced in an email Wednesday.

To qualify for the $500 grant, SRJC students must be enrolled in a minimum of three units this semester and must have expenses related to the coronavirus pandemic. Course materials, housing, food, child care, technology and health care are listed as valid uses for the disbursement. 

Students who already received emergency grants during the spring semester are not eligible. 

Undocumented and international students are also ineligible, but can apply with the same application for aid from local SRJC donor funds.

The money is being distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Students whose financial needs are greater than $500 can contact the SRJC Foundation, which will be working on locating additional funds, according to SGA President-Elect Dakota McGranahan.

Federal guidelines require each student fill out a financial aid application, after which the student will be contacted via email with information on the funds transfer.

Due to the suspension of SRJC campuses, SRJC’s Southwest Campus now has access to federal and local grant funding. Southwest campus students will also gain access to student health and psychological services, both of which were previously unavailable.

“We are all in this together and are dedicated to helping all students succeed in the face of this crisis,” Chong said.

The financial aid application can be found along with information on the SRJC Foundation Crisis Response Fund at https://financialaid.santarosa.edu/srjc-student-emergency-grant.